• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she do this to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guidostern

My fiance and I were together for 5 years. During this time, we have accumulated many items, which we have both paid for with a joint checking account. I left the state of Texas and relocated to Oklahoma a little over a week ago because we continued to experience problems. I was unable to be employed from 07/23 - 09/20 because our relationship was so flaky that I would start my job back, and then be asked to leave again. Well, now to the point...

During this time, I was unable to assist with paying all of the bills, although I did give her money when asked. Now that I have left, she refuses to return my belongings until a debt that her and her parents have settled on is paid. She is communicating with me via email and said that she was not going to hold me responsible for any debt owed to her parents because we lived in their ranch house for 4 months after relocating from Oklahoma to Texas. Then later on, she said that she would need to check with her parents to see what amount they would like to be given for the time that we stayed at this location.

She refuses to give me my things, which I believe that I have a legal right to. She says that she has spoken with a lawyer who told her that she has the right to hold the property until the debt is collected.

Can she do this, hold my property until the debt is collected, even though these things were all purchased during the time we were living together?

Is there anything that I can do to get my things back without having to go through a court?

Thank you for your time, your assistance is greatly appreciated.

erikill

My fiance and I were together for 5 years. During this time, we have accumulated many items, which we have both paid for with a joint checking account. I left the state of Texas and relocated to Oklahoma a little over a week ago because we continued to experience problems. I was unable to be employed from 07/23 - 09/20 because our relationship was so flaky that I would start my job back, and then be asked to leave again. Well, now to the point...

Do you have receipts? Can you prove how much you were putting into the joint account? Were you engaged?

During this time, I was unable to assist with paying all of the bills, although I did give her money when asked. Now that I have left, she refuses to return my belongings until a debt that her and her parents have settled on is paid. She is communicating with me via email and said that she was not going to hold me responsible for any debt owed to her parents because we lived in their ranch house for 4 months after relocating from Oklahoma to Texas. Then later on, she said that she would need to check with her parents to see what amount they would like to be given for the time that we stayed at this location.
Did you discuss this plan with the parents? Did you ever sign an agreement on how much you would pay while you lived in her parent's place? Did you have a written lease?

She refuses to give me my things, which I believe that I have a legal right to. She says that she has spoken with a lawyer who told her that she has the right to hold the property until the debt is collected.

Can she do this, hold my property until the debt is collected, even though these things were all purchased during the time we were living together?
Well the question is what things are yours. Do you have evidence showing you owned the items prior to living with her, or if they were all bought while you lived with her can you show that you paid with you CC? I don't think she can keep anything forcibly that you can prove is yours, as that would be theft. I'm not 100% here.

Is there anything that I can do to get my things back without having to go through a court?
Send a certified letter explicitly listing what you feel is yours and you want back. Provide proof backing up your claim. State that with this documentation you will provide it to the authorities as these items we're taken without permission. Be stern, but civil you were together for 5 yrs. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">