• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can she legally take car away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confused1!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

my mother and i bought a car in july 2009 for me to use during college. she is now threatening to take that car away for no apparent reason. my question is...i paid for about 40% of the car, the title is in my name and her name, i have paid for all of the maintenance expenses and the registration each year. the only thing she has paid for is the original 60% and then the insurance because it was cheaper for it to be in her name. can she legally take it away or do i have a right to part of it? i will be 20 in a few months. is there anything that i can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

you both have equal rights to possess the car. She cannot force you to relinquish the car nor can you force her to not sneak in at night and take the car.

and in the same vein; you can then sneak in at night and take it back.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Good grief. This could quickly become an absurd game of keep away. Who is going to be the first one to do something stupid between the two of them?

And I agree with the previous responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">