• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a small claim be used in this situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osugraduate

What is the name of your state? NC

I had close to $4000 of my personal property stolen by a 17 yr old and an 18 yr old. The 17 YO plead guilty to a felony charge of breaking and entering and a felony charge of possession of stolen goods. He is currently serving a split sentence and was ordered to pay the full amount of restitution.

The 18 YO had his plea bargain accepted and plead guilty to a misdemeanor possession of stolen goods and was sentenced to 45 days community service and $100 fine and NO restitution.

It has been 9 months since the theft and I have not received a penny. I am also told that there is no guarantee I will be paid back.

Question. Can I file a small claim against this 18 YO who appears to be walking away from this without making things right with me?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">