• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone else appear?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jendor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

In MI, if the plaintiff cannot personally appear for a small claims case, can they have someone else appear in court to represent them?

If the answer to the above is a no, then ignore this next question. If yes, then can a lay person such as a trusted family member or friend represent the plaintiff, or must an attorney be hired to represent?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

In MI, if the plaintiff cannot personally appear for a small claims case, can they have someone else appear in court to represent them?

If the answer to the above is a no, then ignore this next question. If yes, then can a lay person such as a trusted family member or friend represent the plaintiff, or must an attorney be hired to represent?

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/selfhelp/intro/civil/small.htm

Lots of decent info there.

Jendor

Thank you Proserpina. Same link I had looked at a few months back, but was looking at the forms at the time and was had asked if travel was a must. Some information has come to light from my first ever posting in these forums, and where proceeding may be in my better interest.

The link does answer in more than one part that an attorney can NOT represent.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Proseguru

can you file for a continuance of the case to a time you can be there? call the clerk and see if you need to be there for that hearing ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">