• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone please help me with this question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hwangyi74

What is the name of your state? Virginia

3 years ago, I bought my girl friend a vehicle under my name. We ended up breaking up almost as soon as I bought the car for her(she had a BAD credit). Yes, HUGE mistake... I can only say that I was immature and naive back then. The problem here is, is that the bank where I've gotten the car loan from calls me every few months to tell me that they're missing 2 months worth of car payment. I constantly get letters and phone calls saying that I'm late on my payment and etc. This is not only stressful but it's messing up my credit big time. I thought I can take the car back anytime since it's technically my car. However, someone told me that it's not perfectly legal for me to do that. Afterall, she has been paying for the car for 3 years even though she was late/skipped payments so many times. The problem is, I can't and don't want to let her keep ruinning my credit like this.

QUESTION: Is there anything I can do to stop my X-girl friend from keep messing up my credit? I've literally begged her to be responsible but I guess 3 years wasn't long enough for her to realize how much pain she is putting me through.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you,

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Some questions:

#1. Whose name is on the title?
#2. Whose name is the auto tag under?
#3. Whose insurance covers the car?
#5. Present balance on the loan?
#6. How much have $ have you paid on the car in the 3 years?
#7. How much $ are you willing to spend to end your problems and are you willing mentally and moneywise to go to court over this?
#8. How many payments are left?
#9. What is the present blue book value of the car?
#10. Have you actually pulled a copy of your credit report in the last 30-90 days and found problems related to this loan?

If you respond it would be helfpul if you keyed your answers to the questions.

JETX

"Is there anything I can do to stop my X-girl friend from keep messing up my credit?"
*** Yes there is. Since your post says that the vehicle is titled in your name, there are two actions you can take... depending on how aggressive you want to make this.
1) Send her a certified letter explaining that this is your vehicle, titled in your name and that you request her to return it to you within ____ days. Explain that it should be returned in good, operable condition (less normal and reasonable 'wear') and, if not, then she could be liable for damages to repair it. Send this letter by certified RRR mail. (The reason for this is that since you gave her permission to use the vehicle, you now need to formally rescind that permission before taking any other action). Do NOT mention anything about taking the vehicle.
or
2) You can simply go get it. Since the vehicle is already titled in your name (per your post), you have all rights to possess the vehicle. Simply, go and 'repossess' it. If you do not have a key to the vehicle, take your title to a local dealer and they can look up the key codes and make a new set of keys for you (depending on year and make). Once you have the vehicle, contact the local police (where the car was parked) and let them know that you have repossessed the vehicle (to keep it from being reported stolen). If you decide to do this, do it so that you do not 'breach the peace'. Do not enter any garage or private building. Do not get into any confrontation. Assuming the vehicle is parked on the street, driveway or parking lot, get in, start it up and drive away. Oh, and be sure to secure any personal property in the vehicle and make arrangements for its return to the owner. And if you don't feel safe doing this yourself, you can hire a 'recovery' service to do this for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">