• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they charge court costs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2boys

What is the name of your state? OH
I have a small calims court case coming up and so I decided to call the company that is suing me and offer to pay them before the court date. When they told me the amount due I was a little shocked and so I asked why the amount was higher. They stated that it was court costs and that they had paid them in advance. I told them that I had filed a small claims case before and was NOT required to pay my own court costs in advance. The company argues that there is no way, they definately have paid the court costs already and that I can either pay that amount or come to court and pay the exact same amount.
Can they do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? OH
I have a small calims court case coming up and so I decided to call the company that is suing me and offer to pay them before the court date. When they told me the amount due I was a little shocked and so I asked why the amount was higher. They stated that it was court costs and that they had paid them in advance. I told them that I had filed a small claims case before and was NOT required to pay my own court costs in advance. The company argues that there is no way, they definately have paid the court costs already and that I can either pay that amount or come to court and pay the exact same amount.
Can they do this?
Of course they can do it...and yes, they did pay court costs in advance.

seniorjudge

They stated that it was court costs and that they had paid them in advance.

Correct.

I told them that I had filed a small claims case before and was NOT required to pay my own court costs in advance.

Then the clerk screwed up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">