• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this ticket be dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kid090

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello,

Few days ago I got a yellow ticket for entered without payment on a bus (Select Bus Q44, Queens to Bronx ). Statute: 21 N.Y.C.R.R. PART 1050

The background of the ticket is yellow with most of the writing in black/grey fonts. Some of the headings are in red e.g last name, dob, date of offense, hearing date etc. I can pay the fine anytime before the final hearing date. If I choose to go for hearing, it will occur at Transit Adjudication Bureau.

I had a metro card at that time with around 20$ in it. It was first time I was traveling Queens to Bronx in public transportation. I have been living in NYC for well over a decade and almost always travelled in Queens and Manhattan only. Buses and trains in Queens and trains in Manhattan. I always used the regular metro card for all the rides. I never knew the bus going to Bronx requires a slip before riding the bus. The driver never told me anything when I got on the bus from Queens. It also happened to be the bus in which the card entry was blocked. I took my card out, was about to put it in the machine, came to know its blocked and took it back in my pocket.

Later on the security officers stopped the bus and because of not having the slip they gave me a 100$ ticket.

Now if people get these kinds of tickets dismissed by proving they did swipe the card inside the bus, then here is the problem: the card machine inside the bus was blocked. If we get the record of swipes, it won't show the swipe for the ride in question.

Through some research I came to know that in these situations they give tickets even if someone has passed an unlimited card in the bus. And if they later proved they did swipe the card inside the bus, they still had to pay the fine.

So is there anything which can be done? Is there any way it can be dismissed? I am concerned about any background checks in the future. My record is absolutely clean. Do these types of things surface when applying for Public School teaching jobs in NY.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

FlyingRon

So you didn't dip your metrocard and you think the ride was free? As you now know the SELECT BUS service has "improved" fare collection (don't ask me what the improvement is) where you have to buy your ticket from a machine prior to boarding. Alas, you can go plead stupidity but I'm not sure that's going to get you anywhere with the TAB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">