• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can verbal agreements be changed without both parties consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairyveil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

About a year and a half ago, my car's motor blew and a friend/neighbor agreed to help me repair it by putting it on her credit card with the agreement that I would pay the bill. I asked for her help, it wasn't an unsolicited offer of help, but she agreed and put the full balance (about $2500) on her credit card which had no other balance.

When the bill came in, she brought it to me and I would pay anywhere from the minimum payment ($65) to $100. Being as my job was sales only commission, there were times that the payment was late. In those cases, I paid the late fee.

The commission only job tanked over the following months, and I was unemployed, took temp jobs, and ended up evicted three times in less than a year. My ability to pay her $100 to cover the bill was sporadic at best.

She paid off the card, without my request or knowledge, out of generosity and concern for her credit history, I presume. Then she told me I would just pay her $100 each month, and not have to worry about interest or late fees. By this time, the bill was down to about $2100.

In June, I got a steady job which went permanent in August. My live-in boyfriend was working two jobs, and we were finally able to start digging out of the financial hole we were in and started making steady payments to her again of $100/month. Then, last month, the court began garnishing his paycheck for 70% of his net (based on the court order that was calculated on a job he hasn't had for 10 months), and the same week, he lost his second job. Our income decreased by over $1100 with two weeks to the end of the month.

I had to cover the full rent, utilities, and some other bills, and tell some people that I owed money that I wouldn't be able to pay them this week, but would have money to them by the 15th of October, including my friend who covered my car. All the way along, whenever I have been short or unable to pay her, I have been in communication with her and she has been understanding but also very angry and upsetting to me about the situation. I did not look forward to telling her I couldn't pay her for two weeks.

As expected, she blew up. The conversation, handled over text, ended in her demanding "$200 by the 16th of every month if I can pay off the whole amount this month" or she would take me to court. I told her I would do the best I could, but I couldn't promise anything, because if the money is not there, I can't give it to her. I am working more than 40 hours a week, taking every minute of overtime I can get, but until the courts have re-figured the boyfriend's childsupport correctly, I'm basically supporting a family of three and have to have gas to get to work.

What I want to know is this: Can she change the terms of our verbal agreement without me agreeing to the change? I have no problem with budgeting $100 on the 16th and committing to that, but the way things are right now, I cannot budget $200. There are too many other expenses that MUST be dealt with. If she takes me to court for not paying her the increased amount, what can I expect to happen?

justalayman

didn't read the post but to this:

Can verbal agreements be changed without both parties consent?
If the initial contract allowed for it, yes. If it didn't, no.

went back and read it

what were the actual terms agreed to for repayment?

Last edited:

Fairyveil

We didn't discuss what might happen if changes were needed when we originally discussed the arrangement.

The original arrangement was that she would put it on her credit card and i would pay the bill when it came in each month. So that put my initial payments at $65/mo principle and interest, an extra $35 the following month to cover the late fee if there was one, but when I was able, I paid up to $100 even if there wasn't a late fee. She was okay with that at the time.

justalayman

so, you admit to breaching the contract, right?

So, why do you believe she should be bound to a contract you have breached yourself?

since you breached the contract, yes, she has every right to sue you. Whether the court will impose some specific payment schedule or simply award a judgment for the total is up to the specific court. Some do not order any sort of schedule.

Then, if she recieves a judgment, it will likely show up on your credit report. She is then free to use any legal means available to her to attempt to collect on the judgment.

cyjeff

So....

You think YOU can change the verbal contract without HER consent... by not paying when you are required to pay... but think that SHE can't then change the verbal contract to require you to pay more to cover her for her loss?

Why would you think that you can only change your contract in YOUR favor?

BL

Your problems are of no concern to your obligations to pay .

Your Friend was patient and understanding to a point .

You failed and your Friend then demanded $100.00 per month which is reasonable for the remaining 2100 ( 21 months / almost two years ) .

Then you still expect your Friend to bow down because you play house with a boyfriend ,and again your problems are not your Friend .( no wonder the freind got pissed ).

I believe a court would award her the total balance ( maybe interest and court cost ) .

Perhaps you need to find another boyfriend that is self sufficient , so you don't have to borrow money from here and there ,so you can play house and have other things that necessities like food/ clothing.

How about you and BF live in your car for a while ?

I wonder if you own the luxury of owning the PC your posting from ?

If so perhaps sell it to pay your $200.00 by the 16th ?

Last edited:

Fairyveil

@justalayman and cyjeff:

Actually, no. I didn't breach the contract first.

I paid the credit card bill and when I was late, I paid the late fee. That was part of the original agreement. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Then she paid off the balance without my knowledge or consent for her own purposes and I did not disagree because I saw her logic. I appreciated the fact that repeated late payments could damage her credit and I had no intention to do that. So technically, SHE changed the contract in her favor first, and I had no objection to it. What was I going to do anyway, tell her to rescind the payment to the credit card company and let me ruin her credit?

@BL - If you've got issues with someone "playing house" get a therapist. I'm not here for you to work them out on. The fact of the matter is that my BF DOESN'T pay my bills, I don't pay his, and this month I got stuck with the choice of picking up his half of them or getting evicted. (It only takes 5 days in Arizona to end up in eviction court, trust me, I know. Not going there again.)

My guess is you're not a lawyer or educated in the field either. You're little more than bitter person with a history and your opinion is useless to me.

Thanks for sharing.

justalayman

her paying of the credit card did not alter your contract in it's essence. It surely didn't breach the contract. She merely took the place of the credit card company. Rather than owing the cc, you owed her directly. Debts are bought and sold every day. That is what happened here.

When you failed to make a regular payment is when you breached the contract. Until that point, nothing had changed.

BL

@justalayman and cyjeff:

Actually, no. I didn't breach the contract first.

I paid the credit card bill and when I was late, I paid the late fee. That was part of the original agreement. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Then she paid off the balance without my knowledge or consent for her own purposes and I did not disagree because I saw her logic. I appreciated the fact that repeated late payments could damage her credit and I had no intention to do that. So technically, SHE changed the contract in her favor first, and I had no objection to it. What was I going to do anyway, tell her to rescind the payment to the credit card company and let me ruin her credit?

@BL - If you've got issues with someone "playing house" get a therapist. I'm not here for you to work them out on. The fact of the matter is that my BF DOESN'T pay my bills, I don't pay his, and this month I got stuck with the choice of picking up his half of them or getting evicted. (It only takes 5 days in Arizona to end up in eviction court, trust me, I know. Not going there again.)

My guess is you're not a lawyer or educated in the field either. You're little more than bitter person with a history and your opinion is useless to me.

Thanks for sharing.
In June, I got a steady job which went permanent in August. My live-in boyfriend was working two jobs, and we were finally able to start digging out of the financial hole we were in and started making steady payments to her again of $100/month. Then, last month, the court began garnishing his paycheck for 70% of his net (based on the court order that was calculated on a job he hasn't had for 10 months), and the same week, he lost his second job. Our income decreased by over $1100 with two weeks to the end of the month.
You opened the door .

Fairyveil

BL - For your personal opinion, value judgements and scorn? I disagree.

I asked a question about what I could expect in court in Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">