• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we sue? Dog loose attacked me and forcefully mated my dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cuttincows

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
North Carolina
There is a dog on our block keep in mind we live in a USMC housing community that has been let loose on several occasions. The dog has mated with mine in December. And now the dog has been caught running loose again and has spent all day today mating with my dog. When I try to get it away from my dog it tries to attack me. This time he FORCEFULLY mated with my female tackling her to the ground and attacking her because she is not in heat. It tried to attack my dog walker when she was outside with my dog. Can I sue for something like this. I am FED UP this dog is constantly out and my dog is only 6 moths of age far too young to be having puppies which this whole arise in complications not to mention my dog is PURE BRED and if any potential Akita breeders later down the road find that she was previously bred to a mutt they will refuse me rights to breed my dog to their purebred stud.

HandsomJoshua

These days you can sue anyone about anything. Wither or not you will win is another story.

Why wasn't your dog locked up where the attacking dog couldn't get to her?

sandyclaus

These days you can sue anyone about anything. Wither or not you will win is another story.

Why wasn't your dog locked up where the attacking dog couldn't get to her?
I really have to agree with this.

There is a premise in the law called "mitigating your damages". Yes, the other dog being loose is a problem. And yes, that dog getting to your dog and mating with her could cause serious complications in your future plans to breed her with another purebred. However, you can't complain that the other dog owner hasn't restrained their dog and continue to allow your own to roam freely where it can be accessed by the male - especially for a whole day. Why weren't YOU properly supervising or restraining your own dog? How is it that you allowed the mating to continue for the entire day and didn't do something to stop it and prevent further interaction? If, as you say, your dog was in your fenced backyard, how is it that the other dog gained access in the first place?

File a complaint with whomever supervises or regulates the USMC housing community where you live, and keep your dog indoors or controlled and restricted to your OWN property bounds until the other dog has been handled.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">