• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we sue for money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joan IL

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

My daughter has been coerced into giving money to a 22 year old man. It was always amounts of less than $200.00, but has added up to over $3000.00 within the past 4 months. She turned 21 last week but all money was given prior to that time. The only paper she has are 3 NSF checks given to her. Every day he says he will get a settlement check the next day and pay her back. ( he has 5 personnal injury cases pending in IL) I finally found out who his grandmother was and called her for the con mans lawyers name. He is now calling and using foul language and saying he will sue me for harrassment as she is 21. I only spoke to the grandmother once and him once. Is there any way for us to get her money back? My daughter has phone messages from him and we have cell phone bills to show some days he called her over 20 times to get money. She has never done anything like this before. I think she just gave him the money to stop the calls.

Last edited:

zippysgoddess

Well your daughter is 21, so therefore you have no business getting involved, calling his grandmother and such, so he is right to complain about that. Why on earth would you want his lawyer's name? The lawyer can't tell you anything, or give you anything, they have nothing to do with this either.

It also doesn't matter that the money was given prior to her being 21, she was a legal adult at 18!

How was she coerced? Did he threaten her? If all he did was call, then the constant phone calls were her fault, she gave him the number, and could have blocked him at anytime, or just not answered the phone.

Your daughter, not you, needs to consult a lawyer of her own for help with this situation.

Last edited:

JETX

Joan IL said:
My daughter has been coerced into giving money to a 22 year old man. It was always amounts of less than $200.00, but has added up to over $3000.00 within the past 4 months. She turned 21 last week but all money was given prior to that time.
If these were gifts (as your post implies), then there is NO obligation to repay... and no cause of action. She is an adult and can give her money away if she wants.

The only paper she has are 3 NSF checks given to her.
Not relevant... unless these checks have something to do with the gifts.

Every day he says he will get a settlement check the next day and pay her back. ( he has 5 personnal injury cases pending in IL) I finally found out who his grandmother was and called her for the con mans lawyers name. He is now calling and using foul language and saying he will sue me for harrassment as she is 21. I only spoke to the grandmother once and him once. Is there any way for us to get her money back?
No. YOU have NO standing in any of this... and YOU can't get anything 'back'.

My daughter has phone messages from him and we have cell phone bills to show some days he called her over 20 times to get money. She has never done anything like this before. I think she just gave him the money to stop the calls.
Again, if she GAVE him the money... no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">