• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can wife sell hubbies car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loose cannon

What is the name of your state? alabama

hubby left 3 months ago; left no forwarding address & has made no contact with abandoned wife. the vehicle she has was purchased earlier in the marraige & is titled in hubbies name only. can she sell the vehicle by signing his name ( john doe by jane doe) & if so , would hubby have recourse if he returned.

loose cannon

is it not true that all assets accrued during marraige are joint property? does this not apply to titled or deeded property?

fairisfair

loose cannon said:
is it not true that all assets accrued during marraige are joint property? does this not apply to titled or deeded property?
If it was purchased during the marriage, with community funds, why is it not titled in both of their names??

jon413

awol

hate to switch the subjecct but i am in desperate need of information.. you see i went awol about 23 days ago and i did it because i wanted to get discharged on an entry level but lately i have been hearing different is this possible or how many other ways can i get out of going awol...i was thinking about staying past 30 days and getting desertion i heard they treated basic trainees alot lighter.

racer72

jon413 said:
hate to switch the subjecct but i am in desperate need of information.. you see i went awol about 23 days ago and i did it because i wanted to get discharged on an entry level but lately i have been hearing different is this possible or how many other ways can i get out of going awol...i was thinking about staying past 30 days and getting desertion i heard they treated basic trainees alot lighter.
It is extremely rude of you to hijack someone's thread and it does not have a damn thing to do with the OP. Delete your post and start your own in the correct forum.

racer72

loose cannon said:
Alabama is not a community property state. Just because the car was bought during the marriage it does not mean the car belongs to both. If the car needs to be sold, the non title holder will have to go to court and get a court order allowing her to sell the car.

BelizeBreeze

Whether or not Alabama is a community property state is inmaterial to the current question.

The fact is, If title to property is held in the name of only one spouse, that does not necessarily mean that the property is not marital or community property. Wife can show an ownership interest in the home by providing proof that her income was used to help pay for it.

However, whether or not she can sell the car is NOT a question of marital or non-marital property rights but a question of what her local DMV requires of married people in selling assets titled in only one name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">