• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you go back to buyer on as is purchase if you find a major non-disclosed problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

szott

What is the name of your state? MI

I am the very smart guy who bought a used motorcycle "as is" (impulse purchase of course) and it is not running as the seller promised. In fact it is not ridable at all. Since I bought it 'as is' I am probably screwed. However can you bring a case if the seller specifically states it runs fine when it obviously does not and has a major problem?

Oh well, $3000 is probably cheep tuition for "always buy new with warranty" 101. :rolleyes:

SHORTY LONG

I am the very smart guy who bought a used motorcycle "as is" (impulse purchase of course) and it is not running as the seller promised. In fact it is not ridable at all. Since I bought it 'as is' I am probably screwed. However can you bring a case if the seller specifically states it runs fine when it obviously does not and has a major problem?

Oh well, $3000 is probably cheep tuition for "always buy new with warranty" 101. :rolleyes:
How long ago was it when you bought it? How did you get it from the seller to where you are presently?
Did you not test drive it? Did you not at least hear it run.

Buyer beware!

szott

It is an overheating problem. The bike runs fine just long enough for a test drive. If you take it for a real ride it overheats. I bought it July 25. When it overheated July 26 I talked with the seller and he said it had overheated on him the last few rides. I tried to fix it in good faith but what ever the problem is it is not common because replacing some key parts has not worked.

Given the time I bought it and that I tried to fix it probably ruins my case but I wouldn't mind dragging him to court just so I can tell him how rotten I think this is.

racer72

Why did you delete the thread you started yesterday afternoon? Was my legally correct answer not to your liking? For others, the motorcycle is a 1980 model and as stated, bought "as-is". As I stated in the post you deleted, enjoy your 27 year old motorcycle after you pay to have it repaired.

seniorjudge

Did you get a salvage title or a regular title.

Anyway, if you buy a vehicle as-is, it is your baby, warts and all.

SHORTY LONG

Racer72, the [op] must have thought that another extra day would change his 27 year old motor-whatever;
and SJ, yes, as is, with warts and all.

szott

Why did you delete the thread you started yesterday afternoon? Was my legally correct answer not to your liking? For others, the motorcycle is a 1980 model and as stated, bought "as-is". As I stated in the post you deleted, enjoy your 27 year old motorcycle after you pay to have it repaired.
Um what are you talking about. This is my first post you can count them if you want. But I am not to excited about getting in an argument with you. Also my bike is an 85, again you got the wrong guy.

Thanks for the post. I am not worried about owning the problem I just wanted a way maybe to get back at the seller. I hate it when people get away with things like this. I would not do this to someone else so I would like to think I can expect the same. Man I love humanity.

OMG...its 22 years old...expect problems. Unless it sat in a garage the whole time, there is going to be possible problems. Why did you buy a motorcycle. Are you familiar with them? Do you know how to work on them? Or did you buy it cause they are cheap on gas and a 22 year old bike is alot cheaper than a newer one? As is, means As is. They make no claim to the condition and you are stuck with it. Its your responsibility to check it out before you buy. Once you have, its yours.

yes, its a $3000 lesson. Next time, have someone who knows something about bikes check it out. I certainly wouldn't pay $3K on a 22 year old bike unless it was in mint condition or a collectible bike that once restored, had a good value to it. I have seen newer bikes in great condition for a lot less...both in AZ and FL.

As they say...There is a sucker born every minute.

Maybe you can offer it for sell and find another....;)

dcatz

That's ignorant and unworthy of this or any other forum.

You’re a sucker. Foist the problem off on someone else.

The question was asked and answered, and you felt it was productive to add that!?

Did your moral compass just fall off the goat herder’s cart?

Last edited:

szott

Man there are some mean people on this forum. I am not upset about a problem on a 22 year old bike, that would be childish. I am upset about an undisclosed problem or more accurately discloser that there are no problems with the bike and runs like new. I was lied to and I am mad. Is that so unnatural?

No big deal I am going to fix it. Fact legally it is my problem and thanks for the advice. Also fact. Seller is an A-hole. This was a problem not possible to detect in a short test ride or inspection and also a problem where no way he didn't know about it.

Some of you lead me to believe I'm some baby whining about this. I don't see how it is ignorant to ask professionals if I can take legal recourse on a problem that the seller stated did not exist.

I am going to fix the bike and enjoy doing so. But fact of the matter is I would have paid less for the bike to cover the cost of the repair if the seller had not flat out lied. But I understand now I assume that risk with an as is purchase.

But all in all thanks for the chat and I'm glad this forum exists. I'll post when I have it running again :)

you didnt say the seller said it runs like new. nonetheless, you bought AS IS. maybe the seller wasnt aware of the problem. apparently you didnt notice it before you bought it.

you appear to be just wanting to get back at the seller for your bad choice of motorcycles. as i said before...next time, take someone who knows about bikes with you.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">