• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you Sue Goverments in small claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robking

New York State.
Can I sue New York State in small claims??? or any other Goverment offices ?
NYS Department of Labor's Division of Employement Services, posts job openings on America's Job Bank website, with the incorrect instructions on them.
I followed the instructions, yet they did not forward my resume to the 3 different employers as they said they would on the job posting, which left me still unemployed.
The instructions state the SSN is optional, yet it is mandatory. Plus they don't forward any resumes unless the person is first "registered" with them, yet it doesn't state that on the website.
I brought this to their attention over and over. I've wrote to every one about it. They all agree the instructions are wrong. I even got a copy of a letter dated in Feb. 2003, that the Acting Director of the Division of Employment Service wrote to a Local Assemblyman, that states they were going to fix the problem in May 2003, yet they still have not fixed it. ??????
Any Suggestions ???

R

robking

They don't give the employers name on the job posting!! Don't you think I would have done that if I could ?

stephenk

So did you do all of the requirements that are necessary to get your resume forwarded and still they werent forwarded, ie. register at the site, provide SS#, etc?

R

robking

I followed the instructions and fit all the requirements that where on the instruction. About 10 days later NYS sent me a letter say they needed my SSN and that I needed to first be "registered" with NYS dept of Labor before a resume could be forwarded. By the time I got the NYS letter, the jobs posted were filled and removed from the website. So, my question is "can you sue NYS in SMALL CLAIMS COURT"????

The Instructions I followed were as follows:

NEW YORK STATE DEPT OF LABOR
AJB Reference Number: 5119649

To apply for this position, select one of the contact methods listed below.

Please include the State Job ID, your social security number and an indication if you are U.S. Military Veteran in your cover letter. Although the social security number is optional, including this information will help us do a better job managing your application.

To apply you must be a U.S. citizen or an individual authorized to work in the United States. If you are not a U.S. citizen and qualify for employment in the U.S., please indicate the type of authorization you have in the cover letter.

Mail your resume and cover letter to:
NEW YORK STATE DEPT OF LABOR
276 WARING ROAD , ROCHESTER, NY 14609

Fax your resume and cover letter to:
(585) 266-7041

Please do not call this office. Your information will be reviewed and, if your qualifications meet the employer's requirements, your resume will be forwarded to the employer.

racer72

Small claims courts are for cases involving actual monetary damages, you do not have any in this case. Any losses you might say you have (loss of employment opportunity, wages, etc) would be purely speculative and no court will give a judgement based that alone. Based on the information you have given, you have no claim because you were never offered any of the jobs you may have applied for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">