• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue someone for buying a vehicle and not recieving the title??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liny07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I had bought a vehicle back in april 2010 for 1,500. I had recieved the title but I noticed on the title it said State of Illinois and it had a barcode sticker on it so if you took it to the bmv they could scan it. And the lady who had sold it to me had her signature on it already and the signature of the guy who she had brought it from in feburary 2010. So she had the car for about 2 Months with the title still in the guys name who she got it from not in her name. Then it stoped workin on her so she sold it to me. And meanwhile i was getting the car fixed and got a working engine. and it worked perfectly fine with me. This took me about 4 weeks to finally get the car working.

I had called the BMV of Indiana and I asked them what are allt he information i need to get the title in my name. And they told me first I need to get: Vin Inspection, Proof of Insurance and ID, and the title of the car, and Bill of Sale. So I got all that done went to the bmv.

I gave the lady all the information and she said I cant get the title in my name because The lady never put the title in her name when she sold it to me. And I had apid for my insurance already and got everything done.

I went to the ladys house who I had brought the car from and told her that the title has to be in her name and she said ok no prob I can get that done and I can have it Fed Ex. to you it was just cost me like 20bucks no prob. So i was like okay... So i made her sign a paper i had wrote for proof she has the title and she was going to get it fixed in her name so she can give to me. I made her sign and date it.

Then on May7 2010 her Husband called and told me he went to the BMV and said he was doing everything now. So i said okay. And i told him to keep me updated. About 4 weeks passed i havnt heard an answer from them so I called and the lady answered and said. She called the BMV the other day and informed her that the title was going to be coming in her mail in 3-6 weeks.. I said ok keep me updated.

Then i have called about the 7th week and her husband answered about 10AM and didnt recognized my number and asked to leave a message to his wife so i told him I wanted to know whats going on with the title because the car is just sittin in my driveway and i can't move it with no plates. and he said he was about 20 min away from home and he would give me a call back. So i waited and recieved no calls ovbiously and called around 4PM when I was at work. No Answer.. Called 5PM No answer 6PM no answer. Then i called the Next day... No answer.. The next day, No answer Called Saturday.. No Answer and Then Called Sunday and the wife send me a tex Message saying: Family Time. And obviously that is going to trigger me and get me mad because she is avoiding my calls. So she decided to just tex and not answer my phone call and said she is still waiting in the mail for the new title and i said if she can call and find the status and she tex: Its sunday the BMV is closed cant do it now. and i told her Well Tuesday when they open call and she said ok.

So tuesday comes around and I called the BMV Myself and they said to recieve a title coming from out of state and to be in the Indiana state title would recieve within 2 weeks. And i sent a tex saying all that info and i got no tex back because she doesnt want to talk on the phone. And I had made my boyfriend go to there house and ask whats going on and they told him, that they havnt got in touch with the guy who they had bought the vehicle from so nothing pretty much has been done. And now im coiming to find out that they are having there Trailor they are living at for sale. So they are planning on moving anytime soon. I called they phone and it's disconnected and Now im clueless is this a case now? They are having no contact what so ever with this and its July 8 and still NO TITLE!! What should I do????? Do I need a lawyer??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">