• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue for unpaid debts on a divorce decree?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kia1987

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA

My DH and his ex are divorced. In the decree she was ordered to pay half of all debts. Which are all in his name. She has not paid a penny. Can DH sue her to get restitution?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have DH log on and ask his own questions. You have no dog in this fight.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA

My DH and his ex are divorced. In the decree she was ordered to pay half of all debts. Which are all in his name. She has not paid a penny. Can DH sue her to get restitution?
Which debts? Who was she supposed to submit payment to? In what timeframe? How do you know she hasn't paid anything? Lemme guess....you don't know. This is why it is important for the parties to the case to sign up and ask their own questions.

kia1987

Actually I know. Dh tried to sign up and his account never got activated. So I am asking for him. I know I have no dog in the fight. Dh actually sat down while I was typing this. The debts were three personal loans they had. Three utility companies that she did not pay the bill to after Dh moved out. She is to pay directly to the companies, but Dh is having to pay because she is not and he does not want his credit shot.

kia1987

I also would like to add DH does have a lawyer. Just looking for ideas on how it could turn out.

Zigner

I also would like to add DH does have a lawyer. Just looking for ideas on how it could turn out.
DH should be asking these questions of his attorney. There is no way any of us can second-guess that attorney.

kia1987

Wasn't second guessing the atty. Just seeing if anyone has had a situation like this. To see how theres turned out. Sorry for the bother.

Zigner

Wasn't second guessing the atty. Just seeing if anyone has had a situation like this. To see how theres turned out. Sorry for the bother.
How would we know? You don't have all the info. Now, if DH had logged on...who knows? In any case, he is represented. The proper person for him to ask is his attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">