• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be sued if your employer bounces a check to you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladylo8350

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Can you be legally sued by a check cashing company if your payroll check bounces. Last year, I cashed my last paycheck at a check cashing company, and was never notified that the check came back to the check cashing company insufficient funds. The Check cashing company never contacted me by phone, or mail. Yesterday, I was served with a summons that I am being sued by the check cashing company, because my payroll check that the honored to me, came back to them insufficient funds, and they are seeking to garnish my wages for this. Shouldn't the check cashing company being going after the issuer of the check? Why are they trying to sue me?

finniganps

YOU took the check to them and they paid you, NOT the company. You have THEIR money, not the company that issued the check. They have enough information to sue you because you gave it to them when they cashed your check. They will collect from you and then YOU can collect from your employer. Your complaint should be with your employer, not the cash checking company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">