• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canceled Bonus Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audreytarte

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I had been working for the past few months on starting my own business and was planning on telling my boss, who has been a great boss for the past 5 years, at the end of the year. However, I started feeling guilty about taking an end of the year bonus check and then just leaving her. So, when she gave me my bonus check early (last week), I felt that I needed to tell her I was leaving to start my own company. She was very upset by this and very shocked and asked me to pack up and leave immediately. However, I offered her the check back and she didn't take it. I thought that was very nice of her, so I took it and immediately deposited it. That all took place on a Friday and the following Monday, she put a stop on the check. I just found this out today, a week later, and now I am going to have $1000 overdrawn. I talked to someone who said that this is illegal for her to do, that once you give someone something, you cannot take it back. Can anyone tell me if this is true and advise me on what to do now.

audreytarte

So, you agree that this is illegal for her to do? Should I contact her first and let her know that what she has done is illegal and she if she wants to make it right? Or do I just sue her?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you agree that this is illegal for her to do? Should I contact her first and let her know that what she has done is illegal and she if she wants to make it right? Or do I just sue her?
You never even CONTACTED the boss??? When will people learn that, sometimes, a simple phone call can straighten things out. I can think of many reasons why the check could have been stopped that don't involve somehow penalizing you for resigning.

audreytarte

No, I hadn't called her yet. I just found out yesterday (Saturday) about the stopped check and wanted to know what all my options were before making the call. I also didn't want to call her at home. Thank you for the advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">