• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancelled Wedding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RedinCA

What is the name of your state? GA

I was engaged to be married during the summer of 2002. My fiance and I mutually agreed to postpone the wedding several months before the date (all vendors agreed to hold deposits for a future date). A month later he decided to end the relationship and therefore cancel the wedding altogether. He agreed to pay half of the wedding costs (all costs had been paid by me and my parents). It has been almost 9 months and he has decided he has no responsibility to pay.

1. I have a printed email in which he agrees to pay half of the cost. Does email count as a "written" agreement in court?

2. If I go to small claims court am I able to sue for the entire amount of the wedding since he ultimately cancelled it? Or would I also be liable because of the mutual decision to postpone it.

Last edited:

JETX

"I have a printed email in which he agrees to pay half of the cost. Does email count as a "written" agreement in court?"
*** It can be used, but unless he agrees to its contents (unlikely since it makes your case for you), you need to be prepared to prove it was sent by him. This is done by printing the FULL email, including headers, then subpoena'ing the records of the ISP to show that he was the person who was logged on at that time and sent that email.

"If I go to small claims court am I able to sue for the entire amount of the wedding since he ultimately cancelled it? Or would I also be liable because of the mutual decision to postpone it."
*** You can sue for pretty much anything you want. The problem is, that you will likely only get what he agreed to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">