• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't get loaned laptop back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thall804

I loaned a coworker my laptop so he could finish a photoshop class he was taking. His laptop crashed two weeks before the class ended and I graciously volunteered to loan him my computer to finish the class.

He finished the class and subsequently moved across the country with my laptop. I have called him several times and left voice mail messages and sent him messages on Facebook asking for my laptop back. He does not return my calls and now has unfriended me on Facebook.

I am sure my coworker has moved. I have the new address through a bit of luck and some Facebook sleuthing. Unfortunately he move across the country so it is not possible for me to even drive to his new location and confront him about my computer.

As far as the "theft", he said he was moving on a certain date and instead left early and I only found out through some mutual acquaintances. I have someone who will testify to the conversation I had with my coworker about borrowing my computer for a few weeks so he could finish his class. This person will also testify that the coworker left earlier than was planned.

What are my chances of recovering my laptop or money to replace the one he took.

Should I file a police report, start the small claims process, send him a letter formally requesting my laptop back or something else?

Thanks for any help

Proserpina

I loaned a coworker my laptop so he could finish a photoshop class he was taking. His laptop crashed two weeks before the class ended and I graciously volunteered to loan him my computer to finish the class.

He finished the class and subsequently moved across the country with my laptop. I have called him several times and left voice mail messages and sent him messages on Facebook asking for my laptop back. He does not return my calls and now has unfriended me on Facebook.

I am sure my coworker has moved. I have the new address through a bit of luck and some Facebook sleuthing. Unfortunately he move across the country so it is not possible for me to even drive to his new location and confront him about my computer.

As far as the "theft", he said he was moving on a certain date and instead left early and I only found out through some mutual acquaintances. I have someone who will testify to the conversation I had with my coworker about borrowing my computer for a few weeks so he could finish his class. This person will also testify that the coworker left earlier than was planned.

What are my chances of recovering my laptop or money to replace the one he took.

Should I file a police report, start the small claims process, send him a letter formally requesting my laptop back or something else?

Thanks for any help

Unfortunately, you would have to sue him where he lives.

(This assumes you're in the US).

Even if you sue him, you might not be able to collect on a judgment.

Antigone*

Thanks for any help

I'd normally say U.S. Law Only, but in your case, I'll tell you to sue him in his jursidiction if he is in the US.

Also, you will only be able to sue for the depreciated value of the laptop, not the full amount you purchased it for.

Proserpina

I'd normally say U.S. Law Only, but in your case, I'll tell you to sue him in his jursidiction if he is in the US.

Also, you will only be able to sue for the depreciated value of the laptop, not the full amount you purchased it for.

Which very possibly might be less than the filing fees.

Mass_Shyster

I'll disagree (again) on the need to sue in the jurisdiction where the defendant fled to. The cause of action (conversion) occured in the plaintiff's state. Specific jurisdiction grants personal jurisdiction to the plaintiff's venue. You don't escape jurisdiction by fleeing.

If your small claims court permits replevin, sue for the return of your property in your court. Let the tortfeasor go to the trouble of travelling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">