• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

capias undelivered--out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plcfreeman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I won a case but the capias was returned undelivered, reading that a "diligent search" was performed and that the defendant is out of state. I think it's likely that this guy is not out of state and he had someone come to the door and tell the officer this. I also think it's likely that the only search the officer performed was to drive to the house and knock on the door.

I called the court and was told that I could apply for an execution instead of trying to search high and low for the defendant. I would like to make sure that this would be a good next step to take. I've read other posts in the Small Claims forum with the word "capias" in them, so am familiar with what was said in those. I don't have money for a lawyer or PD right now, but I would very much appreciate being pointed to self-help advice and information.

I understand that it's expensive to have someone's vehicle towed but I'm wondering if it would be worth putting it on a credit card because sale of it would be out of the defendant's hands and I could be reasonably sure I would get my money. I'm also wondering if it might be a good idea to have the deputy go back there a couple of times before trying execution, if I can do that through the court. It costs $60 but $50 is returned if capias is not delivered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">