• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Deal Went Bad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SdManny

What is the name of your state? California

I was going to buy a car from this guy so when I went to see it I gave him a deposit/downpayment of $3000 to hold the car for me and was going to give him the other $3000 in a week and we signed a contract to return me the $3k if something happend.

When I was going to give him the other $3k something came up and I couldnt buy the car and he said to give him a couple of weeks because he didnt have the money.

Its going to be a month now and now he told me that the car got stolen and is going to get an attorney to try and see if anyone that went to see the car is one responsible of stealing it.:mad:

What can I do to get my money back? And he lives in another city 2 hours away but still in California.

Thanks.

SdManny

What do I need to sue him in small claims court? I've never done anything like this and would really appreciate all the info I could get. Thanks.

SdManny

So I decided to take the guy to small claims after trying to reason with him one on one.

I wanted to know if I really have to file in his county of Los Angeles like it says in the countys web site or do it here in my county of San Diego since they are so close?

And do I need to do anything else like a subpena to submit the agreements that me and the guy signed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So I decided to take the guy to small claims after trying to reason with him one on one.

I wanted to know if I really have to file in his county of Los Angeles like it says in the countys web site or do it here in my county of San Diego since they are so close?

And do I need to do anything else like a subpena to submit the agreements that me and the guy signed?
Sue him in Los Angeles County - that's where the contract was entered.
Just bring all your documents with you to court.

SdManny

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE CAR DIDNT GET STOLEN BUT THAT HE SOLD IT TO A FELLOW MEMBER OF A FORUM IM SUBSCRIBED TO.:mad:

I CONFRONTED HIM AND HE TOLD ME THAT ITS NOT TRUE AND THAT IT DID GET STOLEN AND TO TAKE HIM TO COURT IF I WANT TO.

SO NOW ITS ON! HOW MUCH MORE CAN I SUE HIM FOR OTHER THAN MY $3K? COURT COSTS? HOW ABOUT LOST WORK PAY FOR GOING TO COURT?

moburkes

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE CAR DIDNT GET STOLEN BUT THAT HE SOLD IT TO A FELLOW MEMBER OF A FORUM IM SUBSCRIBED TO.:mad:

I CONFRONTED HIM AND HE TOLD ME THAT ITS NOT TRUE AND THAT IT DID GET STOLEN AND TO TAKE HIM TO COURT IF I WANT TO.

SO NOW ITS ON! HOW MUCH MORE CAN I SUE HIM FOR OTHER THAN MY $3K? COURT COSTS? HOW ABOUT LOST WORK PAY FOR GOING TO COURT?
Why are you yelling at us??? We didn't do anything to you. (All caps is considered SHOUTING on the internet)

You sue him for the amount he cost you...$3,000.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why are you yelling at us??? We didn't do anything to you. (All caps is considered SHOUTING on the internet)

You sue him for the amount he cost you...$3,000.
PLUS court costs and cost of service and maybe even pre-judgment interest. You won't be able to recover time lost from work to go to court etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">