• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealer lied to me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Out4Revenge

I bought a car from a used car yard in California. I told the salesman that I wanted to have the car mechanically inspected before I went any further and before I would even consider buying the car "AS IS". He told me that it was not necessary as the the car had already been completely mechanically inspected by a garage nearby and that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle.
I subsequently bought the car and withing 4 weeks the car was loosing copious amounts of oil on my driveway and it started overheating. I stopped at the garage that had supposedly inspected the car and they said that they had never seen the car before. I took it to another garage to find out what was wrong with it and came away with a quote of $3000 to carry out urgent repairs.
I was lied to by the salesman and want to sue his company for the $3000 and all my costs incured in preparing the claim, the hours and hours spent researching my consumer rights, time off work for the court hearing and compensation for my anguish, humiliation and invasion of my civil rights.
Am I within my rights?
I thank you for your help in advance,
Regards,
David

L

Loves12345

Basically you have no right to seek compensation. You bought the car "As Is". Which means exactly that, no matter what the dealer or any mechanic says. Sorry.:(

C

ctwdjim

lying used car salesman

Loves is right about the "as is", except, possibly, state laws that might has presidence over the purchase contract.....what i mean, is that over here in AZ, I just went through a similar situation. I read the fine print, and noticed that even though I purchased a vehicle as is, by STATE law, the dealership IS responsible for any major repair needed to used vehicle, but ONLY DURING THE FIRST 14 DAYS AFTER PURCHASE. I fortunately returned my vehicle to the dealer on day 14 day! They took care of several repairs that were major, and needing repair. you can believe they were not happy about it. victory to the consumer! Check-out if CA has the same ruling. You can now see why used car salesmen have earned the bad reputation they have acquired over the years.:D

N

No lo wanna go

What!!!! A car dealer lied to you!!!! I don't believe it!!!.

actually, you should be sued for being foolish enough to know you should get an inspection, and then letting the slick willie talk you out of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">