• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car got stolen, return damaged, thievescaught, how do I sue the thieves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tqpolo

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My gf was car jacked by 3 guys last week. They blocked her car and pointed a gun at my gf and took her car. The car was found 4 days later but had significance damanges, blown engine, all glasses were broken, ripped interiors. We only have liability insurance on the car. The 3 thieves were caught 2 days after the car was found. They admitted to stole the car along with stealing 4 more. One of them was only 15, others may be similar age.

Now how do we go to sue them for the damages they costed? The car probably valued at $7000, they also took a labtop in the car along with school books, clothes and other goods. Right now we have no idea how to get compensation for our losts. Please help.

JETX

tqpolo said:
Now how do we go to sue them for the damages they costed? The car probably valued at $7000, they also took a labtop in the car along with school books, clothes and other goods. Right now we have no idea how to get compensation for our losts.
She (not you) can sue them for her loss/damages. One problem will be their ages, and she may have to sue their parents to get at the minor.

Your state has a large small claims limit ($15k!!), so she should contact her local small claim (magistrate) court and see about filing. She will need their complete information (names, ages, address, etc.) in order to file.

For more on the process, go to: http://www2.state.ga.us/GaOCA/magistra1.htm

tqpolo

Do we need a lawyer for this? Our situation seems more serious than the regular "small claim" suits. Also right now we belive that the 3 car jackers are in jail, will they be available for this suit?

misticillusionz

Hey I am wondering if you ever resolved this issue? I have the same problem, my car was stolen... I didn't have any insurance though and the guy was caught and thrown in jail. He is still in jail and will be for years. I am wondering if I can sue that ******* and make him responsible for my car ($15,000). The thing is, he is a bum, NO MONEY AT ALL... I would probaly be wasting my time.

misticillusionz

Hey I am wondering if you ever resolved this issue? I have the same problem, my car was stolen... I didn't have any insurance though and the guy was caught and thrown in jail. He is still in jail and will be for years for a series of car thefts. I am wondering if I can sue that ******* and make him responsible for my car ($15,000). The thing is, he is a bum, NO MONEY AT ALL... I would probaly be wasting my time.

BL

Many times you won't get a relief from the minors ( darn I wrapped one into tree once ) the State Police said I was lucky to be alive . Yep admitted to it Bum Knee , anyways the Court Ordered ME to pay a fine . Never did Nothing further .darn teens . Take the advice of JetX . Try to go after the Parents . .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">