• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car imounded/repoing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doug684

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Ok so in Oct of 07 I sold my girlfriends mom my 96 Eclipse GS for her son. Me and the girl broke up the next month after 4 years, and I have only gotten one payment since then. Supposedly they had to get a new computer for the car [which I don't doubt, I had a feeling that was the idle issue, but made it aware and discounted the price for this] and a rebuilt transmission.

Well I was to the point where I was about to take them to small claims and sue. Got a call today from the wrecker yard saying they had impounded the car. They said he was driving with either a revoked license or no insurance and it was impounded about 2 months ago. They said that they have been trying to contact them and he finally said to contact me and find out what I want to do since I am the lien holder.

The guy said the storage fee will be about $800. So if I pay for it and get the car back, can I sell the car for say $1500 (say the motor is messed up or something else is wrong) and sue them for the other$2000 (sold for $3500) and the $800 for impound fees?

Please help ASAP as the storage fee goes up every day. Thanks

xylene

The guy said the storage fee will be about $800. So if I pay for it and get the car back, can I sell the car for say $1500 (say the motor is messed up or something else is wrong) and sue them for the other$2000 (sold for $3500) and the $800 for impound fees?
You would be foolish to pay anything to the wreck yard.

You DO NOT own the car, you are a leinholder. I suspect the yard guy is just looking for a paying person.

The best plan is to sue for what you are owed. The tow fees are the car owners problem.

doug684

I know I can sue for the whole amount, but I hate to see a good clean car go to waste. I know I can resell the car easily, I am just concerned if I can sue them for the remaining balance once I do so.

doug684

Oh and also if I don't pick it up won't the yard not be able to sell it until I am taken off the title as lien holder?

BL

I know I can sue for the whole amount, but I hate to see a good clean car go to waste. I know I can resell the car easily, I am just concerned if I can sue them for the remaining balance once I do so.
A good clean 96 car that needs transmission & work ?

You could resell easily ?

News to me.

Let me know where and I'm in .

doug684

A good clean 96 car that needs transmission & work ?

You could resell easily ?

News to me.

Let me know where and I'm in .
No I said that was their excuse for not paying payments. The car doesn't need any work and the transmission is fine. Try reading comprehension before using a smart attitude.

Also if I pick the car back up how would I go about getting the title switched back into my name from lien holder to owner to resell the vehicle?

Last edited:

BL

No I said that was their excuse for not paying payments. The car doesn't need any work and the transmission is fine. Try reading comprehension before using a smart attitude.
Where is your writing skills , my comprehension is just fine thank you ! very much .

Supposedly they had to get a new computer for the car [which I don't doubt, I had a feeling that was the idle issue, but made it aware and discounted the price for this] and a rebuilt transmission.

Last edited:

BL

Also if I pick the car back up how would I go about getting the title switched back into my name from lien holder to owner to resell the vehicle?
Please call your lender and the DMV , or didn't that occur to you ?

doug684

Where is your writing skills , my comprehension is just fine that you ! very much .
Yeah that sentence proved it well.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I have only gotten one payment since then. Supposedly they had to get a new computer for the car [which I don't doubt, I had a feeling that was the idle issue, but made it aware and discounted the price for this] and a rebuilt transmission.
Hence the reason they weren't making payments is because they had to fix the problems. There is nothing wrong with the car.

I'm not here to argue.

My concern isn't getting it back or not. If the car is in good shape I want to get it out I know I can sell it quickly for say $2k. My concern is:

A) How do I go about getting the title back in my name from lien holder to owner to sale? (I know it can be done, banks do it when they reposes a car)

B) Can I sue for the remaining balance I am not able to sell the car for? ( Again, I know banks do it. They will sell at auction and the person it was reposesed from is liable for the balance. I just want to make sure I can sue for the remainder)

Last edited:

BL

Yeah that sentence proved it well.

Hence the reason they weren't making payments is because the had to fix the problems. There is nothing wrong with the car.

I'm not here to argue.

My concern isn't getting it back or not. If the car is in good shape I want to get it out I know I can sell it quickly for say $2k. My concern is:

A) How do I go about getting the title back in my name from lien holder to owner to sale? (I know it can be done, banks do it when they reposes a car)

B) Can I sue for the remaining balance I am not able to sell the car for? ( Again, I know banks do it. They will sell at auction and the person it was reposesed from is liable for the balance. I just want to make sure I can sue for the remainder)

If the car is in good shape I want to get it out I know I can sell it quickly for say $2k.
First you say they said the vehicle needs repair , then you say IF .

Where is your comprehension ? I advised to call two places .

Those agencies should have your answers .

No one here knows ifs from ares .

doug684

Seriously you have comprehension issues. When sold to them THE CAR WAS FINE. The reason they didn't make payments is because THEY SAID THEY HAD TO FIX ISSUES. When I go to look at the car at the impound IF there isn't anything wrong with it now I will get it out. I haven't seen the car in six months, which is why I said IF it's in good shape I can sale it easy.

Did you understand that time?

BL

Seriously you have comprehension issues. When sold to them THE CAR WAS FINE. The reason they didn't make payments is because THEY SAID THEY HAD TO FIX ISSUES. When I go to look at the car at the impound IF there isn't anything wrong with it now I will get it out. I haven't seen the car in six months, which is why I said IF it's in good shape I can sale it easy.

Did you understand that time?
No . Have a good day ....

"IF " ands or buts . all to iffy .

doug684

Then please don't respond. Thank you for any helpful advice you have given. Any other info anyone can give is appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">