• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Liens and Wage Garnishment w/ Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GinaMelody

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Good Evening,

I filed a case in district court (I know this is small claims but I am Pro Se and my claim is for under $10K) and I received a judgment in my favor against the Defendants for around $5500. I have written letters to both Defendants giving them the option to work out a payment plan and neither of them have responded. I have since hired an investigator to find any assests they have and I know Defendant #1 owns a car and Defendant #2 works full time. Defendant #1 works full time as well, I just need to find out the name of the employer. I know I can place a lien on vehicle and garnish wages - but HOW?

I keep reading just to submit paperwork to the Court. What does it have to entail? What kind of information? Do I request a hearing from the Court? Does anyone have any experience of actually having a client receving monies from garnished wages? I don't know if I am going to be wasting more of my time or if I should just "eat" the rest of the money.

I am lucky enough to work in a law office and have the capabilities to do this on my own, but if I do not garnish wages I don't think I can get anything else from them. Both of them do not own property.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gina

sandyclaus

You can't garnish anything until AFTER a judgement is awarded. So you have to win in court first.
I think you missed this part:

I filed a case in district court...I received a judgment in my favor against the Defendants for around $5500.
I personally am unaware of the actual procedure to file with the courts for a lien on the cars and/or a wage garnishment, but I just wanted to point out to other posters that the judgment has already been sought and awarded.

GinaMelody

Thank you, Sandy. I hope to get some replies!! I also heard of seizing bank accounts but I don't know how to do that either or if I am allowed to do so (as I am not a creditor, etc.) Thanks all.

Gina

GinaMelody

Anybody? Somebody? :) I keep researching online for some sort of answer and I cannot find a STRAIGHT answer that I need. I am about to give up. I've done this on my own for 9 months now, I don't want to have to pay an attorney at this point just to do this. Unfortunately, the law firm I work for does railroad defense and everyone is out of the loop about this stuff...

Any shed of light on the subject would be appreciated!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">