• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srnr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Nevada, my question is what legal issue do I have if I have purchased a vehicle in my ex-girlfriend name due to a better interest rate and I have been making payments for about 5 years and I have registered and been paying the insurance from my account and now she wants to trade the vehicle in to use the equity for the down payment of her own vehicle. She is ultimately reposessing the vehicle without my consent is this legal?

racer72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Nevada, my question is what legal issue do I have if I have purchased a vehicle in my ex-girlfriend name due to a better interest rate and I have been making payments for about 5 years and I have registered and been paying the insurance from my account and now she wants to trade the vehicle in to use the equity for the down payment of her own vehicle. She is ultimately reposessing the vehicle without my consent is this legal?
Who's name is on the title as the registered owner? If it is her's only, it is her car and she can do as she wishes with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me that you need to find a new car to rent.

antrc170

I think the OP has an agrument that he and his ex entered into a verbal agreement for him to purchase the vehicle from her. If he has been the sole person making payments on the vehicle then I contend he has a good shot of showing a judge that he has an equity stake in the vehicle via a verbal agreement of purchase. Just like the bank may hold the title to a car, the bank cannot sell the car out from under a person making their payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">