• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car not repaired I want it back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spcjep

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have a car that a mechanic has had for 9 months and not fixed. He keeps saying he is doing work and getting parts but it is never finished. I have called the police and I cannot just go get the car because I would then be arrested for theft of service. The verbal estimate from the mechanic was $1,900.00 Initially. I have verbally offered to pay "A little more" to get it back quickly 3 months ago. I even suspect the car has been damaged while it has been at this shop. I have given the guy every benefit of the doubt.

I need to know what my next step should be. I would like to just get the car and take it somewhere else. I know I may have to pay him something, I would only expect it to be for the diagnosis. Since no repair was ever complete. I fear he will damage the car or strip off good parts if I tell him I will be down o pick it up or take him to court.

What legal remedies do I have? Is this a matter for small claims court?

Any help is appreciated!

JP

JETX

Go down to his shop and pay for the services in FULL. Get a detailed invoice. Then take him to court (small claims if under $3000).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">