• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwhands

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Just wondering what I should do with this problem. I broke up with my ex last year. While we were engaged, we decided to trade her car in and get something under my name at a lower interest rate. After we broke up, she agreed to continue making payments on the automobile and pay for maintenance.

In the beginning of January, she refused to make anymore payments on the car. I advised her to make a payment before it became 30 days past due, or I would be forced to reposess the car and she would be responsible for the upside down value. She didn't make the payment, so I got the car. Now I am having trouble getting rid of the car because of the upside down value. Should I sue my ex now for the upside down amount, then sell the car??? What's the best way to handle this?

stephenk

the car is in your name and you have the car. you are the one who purchased the car and financed it. how does your ex become responsible for the upside down value? what did you buy, a Yugo?

J

jwhands

The car is in my name and her father is the cosigner. She was driving the car until about 2 weeks ago. I took the car back from her because she wasn't making the payments on time. Now I am forced to sell it. The car she was previously financing was over $3000 upside down. The dealership put that amount on the loan as well. With depreciation and interest on the previous upside down amount, the car is now upside down about $5000. For a trade in, it is $8000. Basically we had an agreement that she would make the payments and maintain the car, but she refused to do so eventually.

I have emails from her where she agreed to take care of the financing and maintenance. I also have recent emails from her stating that if she misses any payments, it's not going to affect her, so why should she worry about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">