• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twilli16

Me and my ex bought a vehicle. The vehicle is in my name, as well as the tags, registration and insurance. He has no ties to the car. We also lived together. He became an abusive alcoholic. I gave him the option to either take the truck and leave or he can keep the apt and I would take the truck and leave. He wouldn't leave the apt so I packed my clothes and left in my truck. Now he is saying he wants the truck and he is gonna press charges for stealing the truck. Can I get in trouble for leaving in my truck? Like I said everything is in my name. He has no ties to my vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Me and my ex bought a vehicle. The vehicle is in my name, as well as the tags, registration and insurance. He has no ties to the car. We also lived together. He became an abusive alcoholic. I gave him the option to either take the truck and leave or he can keep the apt and I would take the truck and leave. He wouldn't leave the apt so I packed my clothes and left in my truck. Now he is saying he wants the truck and he is gonna press charges for stealing the truck. Can I get in trouble for leaving in my truck? Like I said everything is in my name. He has no ties to my vehicle.
Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

Here in the US: No, you're not going to get in to any criminal trouble for taking the truck.

LdiJ

You cannot steal something that you own. He is full of hot air. He might be able to sue you for any money that he put into the truck, but he sure as heck cannot have you arrested.

tranquility

If you are the registered owner, he does not have a criminal complaint against you. If there is a civil complaint would require MUCH more detail. Even then, I suspect not.

latigo

Why are you claiming that he has "no ties" to the vehicle when you initially tell us that it was a joint purchase?

And if he had not "ties", why did you offer him the option of taking it and leaving? What was your intention with respect to the registration, etc., if he accepted that offer? You obviously had not intention to charge him with stealing it.

It seems to me that before the love nest became overly littered the vehicle was treated as ours, and that if he agreed to take it and leave the apartment, you intended to relinquish your interest.

Obviously there is no grounds to charge you with theft as the only legal evidence of ownership/title to a motor vehicle is what appears at DMV. But that doesn't rule out his having some equitable interest in it. An interest which you seem to have acknowledge in offering it to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">