• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental-PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kris500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (happened in New Orleans)

A large group of friends of mine had all met up one weekend. To make a long story short a man named (Jon) who I thought was a great friend of my two girlfriends, was going to pick me up from New Orleans. On his way to get me he got pulled over and put in jail in some small town. He begged and pleaded for me to rent a car and come get him so out of the goodness of my heart I did.

Jon said he would pay for the car. Of course it was in my name, but still made a verbal agreement to pay for it. After I flew home he called me and promised and promised to pay, but then of course vanished. (The total rental bill came to $2000.)

I now know what town he lives in, and where he works. He has avoided my calls and even myspace messages. I plan on driving down to confront him. What is my best plan? What if somehow I could get a witness, but I really would rather avoid courts, but I'm clueless as to what to do. Please help! I am moving away and desperately need that money. Please any info or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much. -K

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (happened in New Orleans)

A large group of friends of mine had all met up one weekend. To make a long story short a man named (Jon) who I thought was a great friend of my two girlfriends, was going to pick me up from New Orleans. On his way to get me he got pulled over and put in jail in some small town. He begged and pleaded for me to rent a car and come get him so out of the goodness of my heart I did.

Jon said he would pay for the car. Of course it was in my name, but still made a verbal agreement to pay for it. After I flew home he called me and promised and promised to pay, but then of course vanished. (The total rental bill came to $2000.)

I now know what town he lives in, and where he works. He has avoided my calls and even myspace messages. I plan on driving down to confront him. What is my best plan? What if somehow I could get a witness, but I really would rather avoid courts, but I'm clueless as to what to do. Please help! I am moving away and desperately need that money. Please any info or advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much. -K
Spend the money for an hour of an attorney's time and have him/her send Jon a letter demanding payment immediately or all kinds of nebulous and terrible legal guns will be brought to bear.

JETX

He begged and pleaded for me to rent a car and come get him so out of the goodness of my heart I did. (The total rental bill came to $2000.)
What the hell did you rent for that kind of money... a Ferrari Enzo???

Kris500

Im honestly looking for help

no, a toyota corolla. Because I rented the car on the spot, it was $2000 for eight days, $565 for three days, plus an additional $200 a day plus gas and tax. I was just as shocked as you were, this is really not a joke please.

You Are Guilty

no, a toyota corolla. Because I rented the car on the spot, it was $2000 for eight days, $565 for three days, plus an additional $200 a day plus gas and tax. I was just as shocked as you were, this is really not a joke please.
If that's correct (i.e. you're not leaving something out), you could have a problem. Assuming you're going to go with the "verbal contract" argument that the friend was going to pay for the rental, his defense (or at least one of them) is that assuming the court believes this contract exists, there is an implied provision that the cost of the rental car will be reasonable. It is very unlikely any court would find 8 days of renting a Corolla for two grand is reasonable - hell, you can buy one for not much more.

To illustrate the point a little more clearly: You're on your way out to go deposit your paycheck at the bank and your co-worker asks if you could pick them up something to eat while you're out. You say "sure" and spend $2,000 on a grand buffet feast for 25 people complete with butlers, come back to the office and hand the bill to your co-worker. They're not going to be responsible for paying for your excess.

JETX

I don't care what you say.. there is absolutely NO WAY that those charges are accurate. Who did you rent from??

Kris500

Believe me

National/Allamo car rental, remember this was in a pinch, at night time. Allamo was the only place open-the airport. I didnt have access to a computer to order something online, he was suppossed to pick ME up keep in mind. I was stranded and that was the only thing I could do. Yes the prices are rediculous, I will gladly post the link to the car rental printout, this is why I'm so upset. I'm really looking for any kind of good advice or light on this situation, please. I already feel horrible, you are making me feel worse about this. Please help. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">