• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crleslie

What is the name of your state? CA
I don't think I'm posting in the correct area, because I am not intending on or contemplating a small claims complaint, but I have a simple legal question.
About 7 weeks ago my husband totalled our vehicle. In the time we needed to buy a new car (save up our money) his brother was nice enough to loan us his second car. We told him we would pay him for using the car, which we had for 4 weeks and paid $300 in two installments, both times of which they stated were not necessary.
Less than one week after we had the car, the clutch master cylinder went out. We said we would take care of paying for the repair because the car was in our posession. This is an early o mid 90s Honda with over 150,000 miles.
While the car was in the shop, my sister in law asked who would be legally responsible for the car's repair. I said it didn't really matter to me what the legality of the issue was, because I was prepared to pay it. She said that due to her, "experience watching Judge Joe Brown", she thinks that we probably would be responsible.
I was just sort of shocked by her attitude, because we had no apprehension in paying for the repair bill ($240) plus the money we offered to "rent" the car, and it seemed like she was rubbing it in that we had to pay for the repair even if we didn't want to, even though we had already taken it to the shop, were having the repair made, and had told them we were paying for the repair bill.
So, my question is: who is responsible for the repair bill had their been a dispute between us? I have no intentions of even bringing up the matter in the future, just want to know.

Last edited:

JETX

If you were truly renting the car, the owner would be liable. However, since you are using the car out of their courtesy (even compensated), you should pay for the repairs.

crleslie

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I don't feel so bad about her remark. We have already paid for the repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">