• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nceducate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I had my car worked on by a retired mechanic friend of the family. There was nothing wrong with my vehicle but wanted some preventative maintenance done on it. I paid 1000 cash for replacement of belts, tune up, etc. Once the vehicle was returned to me, I started having difficulty with it, broke down twice, had to be towed, and it began overheating. The mechanic looke at it again, "fixed it", lasted a day, and the engine began knocking. I had it towed to a local dealership, where the engine was taken apart to find the problem. Another $1000 later it was discovered that the timing belt had been replaced incorrectly causing the other engine issues, and that during the first repairs the radiator had been cracked and seale back together. The first mechanic went to the dealership to speak to the mechanic there, where they discussed the first round of repairs and the errors made. I have asked the first mechanic for my money back, which he has flatly refused. His statement to me "sometimes things just happen" Am I entitled to anything back from him?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I had my car worked on by a retired mechanic friend of the family. There was nothing wrong with my vehicle but wanted some preventative maintenance done on it. I paid 1000 cash for replacement of belts, tune up, etc. Once the vehicle was returned to me, I started having difficulty with it, broke down twice, had to be towed, and it began overheating. The mechanic looke at it again, "fixed it", lasted a day, and the engine began knocking. I had it towed to a local dealership, where the engine was taken apart to find the problem. Another $1000 later it was discovered that the timing belt had been replaced incorrectly causing the other engine issues, and that during the first repairs the radiator had been cracked and seale back together. The first mechanic went to the dealership to speak to the mechanic there, where they discussed the first round of repairs and the errors made. I have asked the first mechanic for my money back, which he has flatly refused. His statement to me "sometimes things just happen" Am I entitled to anything back from him?
Sue the guy in small claims.

ecmst12

Hopefully you learned the lesson about going to unlicensed, uninsured mechanics in the future...if this had been done at a shop, the shop's insurance would have covered the errors of their employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">