• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car repair issue in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alexey

My transmission broke when I was 400 miles away from my house. I towed my car to the nearest repair shop in the nearest small town. They rebuild the transmission (paid for it $3019). I picked up the car. After arriving home I noticed that the car body was damaged and car is making noise when switching gears (It was not very noticeable first, it become worse over time). I immediately called the repair shop and got reply from them that body damage is not their fault and they are not going to fix it. As they say the car was in this condition when I came to the shop first time. And talking about transmission noise they said that it can be repaired only in their shop. I explained them that car still have issue with transmission and it is not safe to drive it 400 miles back to them and asked them if they can tow it back to their place. They refused to do that. So I made following steps: filed complain in BBB and Bureau of Automotive Repair, Repaired my car body using my insurance (paid $500) deductible, did inspection of my car in 2 different repair shops they confirmed that the issue exists (paid $150) and filed complain to my credit company to return money that I paid to the original repair shop.
After couple of month when BBB, BAR and my bank started to approach the owner of the repair shop he started to offer some small things like paying for gas and car rental for 2 days and may be towing the car. But he NEVER contacted me directly. And at this time I already repaired my car body with my insurance. Finally my bank returned me my money and I repaired car in another repair shop. (Paid $3200) Found that first repair shop used some aftermarket parts that broke.
Now he filed small claim against me (California). What are my chances to win that case and what is the best strategy to use?

CourtClerk

Your chances are 50/50...

the only thing you can do is present the evidence and hope that the bench officer sees your side of things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">