• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car sale gone awry in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njtech

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I'll try and keep this to the essentials as I have no idea if this is winnable (presentable yes, winnable not so sure).

My wife and I sold her 10 year old Audi to a used car dealer. We're private owners and it was a straightforward transaction for $2,200. We receive a call from dealer a few hours later claiming a major oil leak which will cost him $580.

At this point we're under no obligation but don't want him to feel ripped off and we offer $500 for the work on the condition we get a receipt mailed to us. We separately confirmed with him that we wanted that receipt for the work.

My wife call him a couple days later asking about the receipt and she is told he decided to cut his losses and not get the work done. I called him as well and he got quite belligerent.

This was not a gift, it's a transaction: $500 for a receipt of work done. Agreement was oral.

Is this a realistic claim?

Thanks kindly,
Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">