• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Sprayed with Paint by Neighbor's Handyman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalaMatia

FLORIDA
My neighbor hired a handyman (I'll call him "Bob") to do some interior painting. One night, I noticed Bob rinsing the paint sprayer in my neighbor's driveway. I thought nothing of it at the time, but the next day, his actions were severely brought to my attention. Not only was there paint all over the grass median, but white paint was sprayed all over my dark green Mustang. :mad:
My Mustang now has a sandpaper finish.

I confronted Bob, and he seemed to have a non-chalant attitude about his actions. As if to say, "it's just a little paint". He admitted to doing it, told me how he didn't mean to do it, and after arguing about how I didn't want him to remove the paint, he agreed to pay for the repairs.

I got an estimate from the local Ford dealership and presented it to Bob. $300-$700+ depending on whether or not the non-metal pieces (mirror frames, grill, head lights, emblems, etc.) will need to be replaced due to discoloration/fading. Bob has now refused to pay for the damages he caused. I am in the process of getting a second opinion for the cost, but don't think I will have much luck regarding Bob's willingness to take responsibility for his actions.

Bob keeps trying to suggest his friends, who are not licensed or insured in anything, can wash my car with soap and water or gasoline. He even told me to go to the Ford dealership, pay for the repairs myself, and he will pay me back with either money or by doing odd jobs around my house. I have a husband, thank you, no.

He has already given me the wrong address for his residence, so how am I supposed to trust that he will pay me back. Besides, I don't have the money to pay the dealership upfront, and why should I?

Here's a good example of what type of person I am dealing with: While discussing the estimate, he said to me, and I quote, "you're just a woman, you don't know anything about cars." :eek:

I need some help. Should I take him to court? How many estimates should I have to get? Can the neighbor be held accountable? What type of proof (I have photos) will I need to present my case in court? I'm so confused. Any help, advice, direction or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

I apologize to any Bobs that I may have offended. Bobs are usually nice guys.

moburkes

KalaMatia said:
FLORIDA
My neighbor hired a handyman (I'll call him "Bob") to do some interior painting. One night, I noticed Bob rinsing the paint sprayer in my neighbor's driveway. I thought nothing of it at the time, but the next day, his actions were severely brought to my attention. Not only was there paint all over the grass median, but white paint was sprayed all over my dark green Mustang. :mad:
My Mustang now has a sandpaper finish.

I confronted Bob, and he seemed to have a non-chalant attitude about his actions. As if to say, "it's just a little paint". He admitted to doing it, told me how he didn't mean to do it, and after arguing about how I didn't want him to remove the paint, he agreed to pay for the repairs.

I got an estimate from the local Ford dealership and presented it to Bob. $300-$700+ depending on whether or not the non-metal pieces (mirror frames, grill, head lights, emblems, etc.) will need to be replaced due to discoloration/fading. Bob has now refused to pay for the damages he caused. I am in the process of getting a second opinion for the cost, but don't think I will have much luck regarding Bob's willingness to take responsibility for his actions.

Bob keeps trying to suggest his friends, who are not licensed or insured in anything, can wash my car with soap and water or gasoline. He even told me to go to the Ford dealership, pay for the repairs myself, and he will pay me back with either money or by doing odd jobs around my house. I have a husband, thank you, no.

He has already given me the wrong address for his residence, so how am I supposed to trust that he will pay me back. Besides, I don't have the money to pay the dealership upfront, and why should I?

Here's a good example of what type of person I am dealing with: While discussing the estimate, he said to me, and I quote, "you're just a woman, you don't know anything about cars." :eek:

I need some help. Should I take him to court? How many estimates should I have to get? Can the neighbor be held accountable? What type of proof (I have photos) will I need to present my case in court? I'm so confused. Any help, advice, direction or encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

I apologize to any Bobs that I may have offended. Bobs are usually nice guys.

Are you able to afford your deductible? You can use your car insurance to get the vehicle fixed, then sue him for the deductible or the full amount (of which the insurance company will want their portion paid back to them). Or the insurance company will sue him themselves for what they paid out, and they will also get your deductible back for you (if they are successful).

BL

Take it to a place that does custom cleaning / detailing and get there advice and estimate .

I know there are products out there that can be used to remove road tar , etc .

If it works fine sue him for the cost .

Last edited:

KalaMatia

I want to thank you all for your advice. I think I will take the insurance route. I'm sure you all agree that I am the victim, it just upsets me so much that some people can be so mean. :( However, I know that my insurance agent, whom I've had since my first car, will handle the situation successfully. I wasn't sure about contacting my insurance, since this wasn't a "car to car" accident. Moburks, you reassured me that contacting them would be the best route. Thanks again, to all of you, and happy holidays.

KalaMatia

Well, unfortunately, I am having no luck with this idiot! I had contacted my insurance company, with no response (probably because of the hurricanes, they're busy) and have called this man's cell and home phones, only leaving messages. He hasn't responded in about a week. I spoke with a friend of mine, who does detailing, and he recommended a product, but the plastic is what concerns me. You know, the accessories like the grill and the mirrors... uh, and let's not forget the headlights. OOOOOOh OH OH... "Bob" just called me back and is trying to get me to go to a different dealership where his friend works. I called his friend and find out that he's a salesman. HE even said he couldn't help! OH MY GOD. I'm freakin' out.

BL

KalaMatia said:
Well, unfortunately, I am having no luck with this idiot! I had contacted my insurance company, with no response (probably because of the hurricanes, they're busy) and have called this man's cell and home phones, only leaving messages. He hasn't responded in about a week. I spoke with a friend of mine, who does detailing, and he recommended a product, but the plastic is what concerns me. You know, the accessories like the grill and the mirrors... uh, and let's not forget the headlights. OOOOOOh OH OH... "Bob" just called me back and is trying to get me to go to a different dealership where his friend works. I called his friend and find out that he's a salesman. HE even said he couldn't help! OH MY GOD. I'm freakin' out.
You're freaking out :eek: Did you go to batauto.com BTW I won an OB11 from the site :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BL

What do they do at batauto.com?[/QUOTE]

Crack jokes and give you GOOD advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">