• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Stolen/Thief caught/No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misticillusionz

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I need advice, as I am 150% clueless as to how to proceed. In 2001, my 1998 Z28 Camaro was stolen (by a bum). The thief was caught days later, and served 5 years in prison (for stealing numerous cars and breaking into my house while occupied).

I had full coverage insurance but it was cancelled just weeks before he stole my car ( I lost my job). Therefore, I still owe the bank $15k!!! When filing the police report, and meeting with the State Attorney's Office, giving my statement, etc..... I told them that YES, I DO want to file for restitution. The attorney man said okay... we will be in contact. Well, it is now 5 years later, I never heard anything and the thief was recently released from jail.

To the point, is there anything I can do? Can I sue, or still get restitution? Or am I pretty much SOL since I did NOT have insurance on the car?

Any advice is much appreciated = )

misticillusionz

Thnx

Thanks for responding guys. I guess I am SOL.

Why did it take me 5 years to do something about it? Well, I really don't have a good answer. I was 19 when it happened, and didn't know how things worked. I didn't really know what restitution was neither. Plus I figured it was pointless since he was a BUM with no job, etc. Well it is now a write off on my credit report, hopefully it was disappear from my credit report within the next couple of years. I don't feel I should pay for it, although it was my fault for not having insurance. OH WELL!!!!

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">