• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car taken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkeaggie2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So i met this mechanic on craiglist, he fixed a couple of things pertaining to me car, but a few months later i had another problem. I gave him a ring and he said he needed me to take the car over there to his shop, the only problem with that was the car wasn't starting. He offered to come pick it up with his truck and take out to his shop in the country area. Since i wasn't going i took down the license plate number, full name, and that sort of thing. He said he would give me a call back when he got to the shop, it has been 2 days and he has yet to respond to my calls or phone me back, what should i do or what are my options.

Am i at fault here for allowing him to take the vehicle? any advice?

sandyclaus

What do you think happened?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So i met this mechanic on craiglist, he fixed a couple of things pertaining to me car, but a few months later i had another problem. I gave him a ring and he said he needed me to take the car over there to his shop, the only problem with that was the car wasn't starting. He offered to come pick it up with his truck and take out to his shop in the country area. Since i wasn't going i took down the license plate number, full name, and that sort of thing. He said he would give me a call back when he got to the shop, it has been 2 days and he has yet to respond to my calls or phone me back, what should i do or what are my options.

Am i at fault here for allowing him to take the vehicle? any advice?
So what do YOU think happened? Do you think he stole your car, or do you think he might just be taking longer than expected to repair it?

First and foremost, if Mohammed won't go to the mountan, the mountain must go to Mohammed. That means if you can reach him, you need to go to where the car was taken to have a face-to-face with the mechanic. Find someone who can drive you there.

Once you get there, then start looking into the specifics. If the car and mechanic are both there, then ask why he never called you back (and you'll have a witness to the conversation to boot). Remember that if he's going to charge you for the work, most jurisdictions require you to authorize the repairs that you will be paying for. If he expects you to pay, he had to get your ok first.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">