• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acampbell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Hello Legal Community,
I Iive in Miami, FL. I purchased a vehicle from small auction dealership. The car is paid in full, but the dealership has closed and they processed a title transfer into my name. I have been in posession of the car for 2 years, and of course the paper tag supplied has expired and the car has been sitting. What can I do to get the title for my vehicle? Someone said I need to get a surety bond title, but it says the bond will only be valid for 3 years. How do I get a permanent title transfer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Hello Legal Community,
I Iive in Miami, FL. I purchased a vehicle from small auction dealership. The car is paid in full, but the dealership has closed and they processed a title transfer into my name. I have been in posession of the car for 2 years, and of course the paper tag supplied has expired and the car has been sitting. What can I do to get the title for my vehicle? Someone said I need to get a surety bond title, but it says the bond will only be valid for 3 years. How do I get a permanent title transfer?
What did the folks at the Florida DMV say when you went to the office and talked to them about this matter?

acampbell

I have not gone to the DMV, because I've seen so many things online saying I needed to get surety bond before I go. I didnt want to get it and wasteI my money or time. Just feeling kinda lost

justalayman

and they processed a title transfer into my name
So, either they processes a title transfer into your name or they didn't. If they did, you should have the title. If you don't, contact the dmv inquiring as to where it is.

If the dealer did not process a title transfer into your name, contact the dmv and inquire as to the legal status of the title. If you have valid documentation proving the purchase there may be something the dmv can do. Given you have waited way to long to do anything about the matter, there may be nothing more than purchasing a bond for a title but unless you contact the dmv, you'll never really know

Zigner

I suggested that the OP go in person to the DMV because I tend to think that complex matters are almost always better handled in person. That's a personal preference, of course.

acampbell

The dealer did not process the transfer. I guess my only choice is to go tpo the Dmv, and possibly get a surety bond against the vehicle and go from there...

jesuslambrecht

You should get advice from your lawyer or someone who has been passed with same situation. The experienced lawyer in vehicle related issues can help surely to provide the title for your car.

Zigner

You should get advice from your lawyer or someone who has been passed with same situation. The experienced lawyer in vehicle related issues can help surely to provide the title for your car.
The OP doesn't need to incur the expense of an attorney when there is already a well-established process in place for consumers to handle this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">