• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car towed despite permission to park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dklittl

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I live in Atlanta in an apartment that is connected to a parking lot owned by one of those large parking lot companies called Interpark. They charge me $30 a month to park. I've been living here for 5 years and the supervising manager of the parking lot recently changed.

The problem is that there is a parking spot near the front of the parking area that has a reserved sign on it. No one ever parks there, except for a one car every once in awhile. My girlfriend asked the previous manager and the current manager about it, and it appears that no one pays or owns the spot. Just a week ago specifically my girlfriend asked the manager, and he said that there is a women who was a friend of the previous manager who parks their but she is not entitled to it or anything, so the parking space is open. Well lo and behold, my girlfriend decides to park my car their last night, and they tow the car the next day. When my girlfriend confronts the property manager he says now that he needs the space open during the day despite saying that is was open to park. His explanation for needing the space was incoherent and made no sense based on his previous statements, and by the end of the confrontation he actually repeated that it was ok to park there despite refusing any blame.

I'm pretty sure that I have a case to sue ($95 towing fee) based on his permission, but I would appreciate any comments on if anyone thinks that I have a case, and what kind of complaint should I file it under. Thanks ahead of time.

JETX

"I'm pretty sure that I have a case to sue ($95 towing fee) based on his permission,"
*** Simply, without any PROOF of your claim of verbal permission you have no case. The parking lot is simply going to say, "We never said that", or "That was a one-time only thing", or "She said that she was just dropping off groceries that one time", or "The person that they talked to didn't have authorization to waive the reserved status". And since YOU would have the burden of proof, poof.

HomeGuru

There is a reserved sign at the parking space so I agree with JETX that unless there is a written parking agreement, the towing action stands.

anabanana

at least you got your car, eh?

I had that same situation once, and I was so pitifully broke I couldn't even redeem my car from the tow yard. No recourse, no car, a towing and storage bill. It was so unfair. Unfortunately, it's not illegal to be unfair. Twelve years later, I still miss that damn car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">