• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car transport company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbird613

Hello there, I need some legal advise. Last month I bought a car at an auction in PA. I hired a car transport company to pick up and deliver my car after I placed a bid through through uship.com. ADL logistics agreed to ship my car within the time frame I had indicated for $575, and seeing that they had very good reviews, I decide to do business with them.

I booked and payed on 1/28/2016, and they were supposed to pick up my car from auction in PA by 2/03/2016, and drop it off by 2/07/2016 to Raleigh NC. I gave them car description, make model, size, weight and even an picture of the car to be picked up.

As can be see per the conversation below (scroll down for dialogue), they agreed to ship car for $575. I paid all the money/fees they requestd, but the driver's fee of $350, which I was instructed to hand over to the driver in form of cash once they dropped off the car.

I made it clear to them the car should be picked up soon and within the specified window of time, before it started racking up storage fees. They said vehicle will be picked up within 1-3 business days which was OK with me.

Since then, Ive been calling them just about every day for a status update, all while reminding them that the car will be incurring storage fees but, they always promise me there is a truck driver on the way to pick my car up, and they would call me once that happed. Of course I never get a call, so I've been calling them back but they always feed me the same old story.

Pick up day has come and gone, and my car has accumulated over $400 in storage fees. Twice they have told me that the truck driver abandoned the 'pick up' once they got to the auction, because my car/SUV "would not fit". I had clearly given them the dimensions, type, year, make and model of the car when I booked with them, and they had no problem with it.

It's been 3 weeks since they were supposed to pick up my car, and over $400 in storage fees and they still haven't picked it up, despite numerous calls I've made while pleading with them to pick my car especially due to accumulating storage fees.

Had they picked up my car on time as they promised, there wouldn't be any extra storage fees. I've asked them if they will pay for these fees since its not my fault, but they always tell me that they'll get back to me with an answer, which of course they never do.

My question is, do I have a case against ADL logistics, since their not meeting their end of the bargain, is costing me financially and emotionally? All am asking for them is to pick up my car and dropped it off like we agreed without me having to pay any unnecessary charges/feed

Below is the dialog I had with them before booking.

ADL LOGISTICS. Our total rate for this route is $575.00, all inclusive (insurance, gas, tolls and taxes). If you wish to ship with us make your offer price adjustment accordingly so we can go ahead and make transportation arrangements. Thank you for considering our offer. -- ADL LOGISTICS*

Me:*Could you do it for 450?1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*$575.00 is as low as our system will allow us to go and this is why: At $450.00 you will be paying way below market price so what happens: Your vehicle will be put on standby and will only be taken into consideration for transport if one truck is running with an empty space. Trucks are completely booked during this time of year, so for not paying those extra $125.00 your vehicle might sit there for a month or even more until a truck is looking for something to fill an empty space with. Please raise your offer price now to the price we request to proceed. Thank you – ADL LOGISTICS1/28/2016

Me:*Ok. How soon could you pick it Up and have it delivered? The vehicle will start racking up storage fees soon1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*Pickup within 1-3 business days from booking. Take in mind the auction is closed on the weekends but they still count those days. You need to book Now.1/28/2016

Me:*Ok. Lets get it done. I'd prefer it gets pick up tomorrow. Do I pay upfront or do i put in a deposit?1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*You will have to pay a deposit done over the phone through one of our ADL LOGISTICS agents after you book online. Raise your offer price to $575.00 now to proceed. Thank you.1/28/2016

Me:*Yes I am Willing to pay $575.00. How much would be the deposit?*1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*$100.00 to ADL LOGISTICS.1/28/2016

Me:*Ok. Do you have a phone number i could call?1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*Dear Daniel, as we mentioned before we cannot provide you with our ADL LOGISTICS phone number until you accept a bid since you are booking through uShip and it is against uShip's User Agreement to disclose any contact information in the question box.1/28/2016

Me:*Excuse me this is first time for me and am not sure how to use the app to accept the bid. Where do i go?1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*First you need to raise your Offer Price to $575.00. To raise your Offer Price: log into your uShip account, then go to "My Shipments" in the drop-down menu. Click the link to the shipment listing in which you need to raise the price. Then you'll click on the link to Raise Your Price. This will allow you to adjust your price to $575.00. Please note that if another company accept your new price faster than we can you will have to reject their bid so we can place ours. Raise your price now and please be so kind to send us a message as soon as you do so. Thank you! – ADL LOGISTICS1/28/2016

Me:*Just raised the price I've just raised my price to $5751/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*Great . Now the next step is for you to accept our bid. Please accept our bid now and follow all the steps to complete the online booking. One of our agents will call you shortly after. Thank you from -- ADL LOGISTICS.1/28/2016

Me:*It says total due is $157, and remaining is $461. The deal was for 575. You told me I'd put a deposit of $100. Whats going on?1/28/2016

ADL LOGISTICS:*The amount charged by ADL LOGISTICS is $575.00... the additional charge is the uShip service fee, we have no control over that fee. The uShip service fee is charged by uShip and needs to be payed to complete the booking through their website. We have no control over it and do not know the amount.1/28/2016

Last edited:

justalayman

It appears you never raised your offer price to $575 so you are on standby apparently. The last entry of the dialogue shows they requested you raise your bid to $575 after which the conversation ends so that shows you never did whatever you have to do to actuslly raise your bid.

dbird613

It appears you never raised your offer price to $575 so you are on standby apparently. The last entry of the dialogue shows they requested you raise your bid to $575 after which the conversation ends so that shows you never did whatever you have to do to actuslly raise your bid.
I apologize I accidentally omitted the rest of the dialog when I coppies and pasted it. I've edited the above posting and the full dialogue is included. Bottom line is that I accepted the bid, they called me and I payed them

justalayman

So, did you pay the uship fee to uship?

Did one of the Adl agents ever call you as their communication stated would happen?

dbird613

So, did you pay the uship fee to uship?

Did one of the Adl agents ever call you as their communication stated would happen?
Yes I did pay the uship fees which was about $60. AmADL logistics agent called me to finalize the transaction. I have proof of payment from email recipient they sent me.

Last edited:

justalayman

Ok, now finally getting through all of that; does your contract with Adl say anything to the issue of delays and incidental damages (such as the storage fees)?

Your dollar figures don't make any sense though. If the Adl fee was $575 and you paid a deposit of $100 and $350 was to be laid to the driver you should have owed $125. What's with the $157? If the uship fee was included it would be $185 owed. The numbers don't add up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">