• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyler2190

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Missouri

So, I may have door dinged someone in the parking lot at my friends apartment. My question is if they could prove it was me. I had been fighting with my friends room mate and her mother so it wouldn't be far fetched if they tried to say that said damage was caused by my car. Another thing is that they don't even have my last name. My question is, if all you have is a hunch that someone caused damage to your car, can you legally prove that one person damaged your car and not one of the other 20 cars in the parking lot? I also have witnesses that can back up my story, which is that I have no idea where the damage came from.

latigo

Missouri

So, I may have door dinged someone in the parking lot at my friends apartment. My question is if they could prove it was me. I had been fighting with my friends room mate and her mother so it wouldn't be far fetched if they tried to say that said damage was caused by my car. Another thing is that they don't even have my last name. My question is, if all you have is a hunch that someone caused damage to your car, can you legally prove that one person damaged your car and not one of the other 20 cars in the parking lot? I also have witnesses that can back up my story, which is that I have no idea where the damage came from.

I have a hunch that “ideas” are a rare commodity with you. At least good ones. None of which seem evident here.

However, if you have witnesses willing to swear that you have a good one, that is, an idea that you have no idea and not an idea that you may have door dinged some one in the parking lot, have them write in and we will grill them under the truth lamp.

In the future you might wish to conduct the visiting with your friend in your apartment so he can fight with your roommate.

If he has no mother about, perhaps you could borrow one. Also the next time you go about “door dinging” be sure to use some other person’s car.

(If Latigo doesn’t get at least a "B" minus here for being helpful with a distressful situation, there is no justice connected with this site!)

sandyclaus

Missouri

Sounds to me like you DID door-ding someone and are just looking for excuses to try and get out of your liability for the damages. I have every doubt that your "witnesses" are very truthful or reliable, considering you already all but admit that you did it.

Instead of making excuses and trying to find a way out of trouble, why don't you step up and take responsibility? It's entirely possible if the damages are slight that they will just chalk it up to an accident and let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">