• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car was Vandalized

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuiedaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

So I was awoken to a phone call from an Omaha police officer at 5:00AM yesterday. He asked if I was the owner of a silver BMW and I replied yes. He said there was a property damage crime so I went outside my apartment to meet with the officers. Some guy, who I have never met before, took a parking meter out of the ground and destroyed my vehicle with it. He caused damage to the windshield, driver window, the pillar between the two (part of the frame), driver door, and driver mirror as well as to the glass door to the shop next to where my car was parked. I had just put insurance (GEICO) on THAT day as I recently purchased the vehicle, although it seems there was an error with the website or something because when I got on the website later, my vehicle was not listed, so as far as insurance goes, I may just be sol. The car is a 2007 BMW 328xi, valued at ~$16,000. They DID catch the guy and he was in fact in the back one of the squad cars when I went outside. If my insurance does not cover my car, how do I go about getting money out of this guy? I've never dealt with suing somebody or courts at all for that matter. I'm assuming he won't be able to pay for my car, so then what happens? I have all I need to present myself in court correct? Am I able to sue for more than the damages caused? My car is currently not driveable and will be having to bike to work for the time being so its a bit of a pain to say the least. Thanks in advance!

TigerD

You might have better luck asking the prosecutor to make restitution part of any plea agreement or sentence.

The odds of you seeing the money for the damages in any reasonable time frame are effectively nil.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">