• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Window damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatahassle2005

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NH

Hello all......any advice would be appreciated. My neighbor's kids broke my car window last Sunday. The mom admitted that it was their fault and told me to let them know the fee to replace it. I called the auto glass place, got a quote and called her back. She's been promising me a check all week and still hasn't paid it. I have been driving to work with cold air blowing on me all week. I don't have time for this hassle. Any idea on what I should do? Should I file a police report? Take her to small claims? Is my landlord responsible if I can't get her to pay? Any advice would be appreciated. I just got this job and I really can't take time off for this nonsense, but don't know what to do. Thank you again.

Happy Trails

whatahassle2005 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NH

Hello all......any advice would be appreciated. My neighbor's kids broke my car window last Sunday. The mom admitted that it was their fault and told me to let them know the fee to replace it. I called the auto glass place, got a quote and called her back. She's been promising me a check all week and still hasn't paid it. I have been driving to work with cold air blowing on me all week. I don't have time for this hassle. Any idea on what I should do? Should I file a police report? Take her to small claims? Is my landlord responsible if I can't get her to pay? Any advice would be appreciated. I just got this job and I really can't take time off for this nonsense, but don't know what to do. Thank you again.
When does the lady say she will give you the check?
I don't see why you would need to call the police and make a report. She admitted that they were at fault. Maybe get something in writing from her.
Small claims court is an option, but it is not a quick one.
Why would you think the LL is responsible?

I would talk to the lady again, expressing that this really needs to get done. If you could pay to have the window fixed it would be a quicker remedy and then you could sue in SCC. But when you talk to her get a statement from her admitting she is willing to take the responsibility.

KAMIAKI1

Hello, I work for an autoglass company in the North West. No your landlord is not going to pay for it and there is no way you could get them to!
The only person that can pay for it is you, unless the person at fault for the damages actually pays you. Not knowing the financial situation of your neighbor... you could see if your auto insurance policy will cover the damage and if you have a deductible, offer the neighbor to pay your deductible. That may be less of a hardship for her. Then you could get it taken care of faster. Plus this will be less threatening for the neighborhood relationships.
You mentioned that you have a price quote. Did you get a few quotes? The autoglass industry is very competitive and you will get a variety of prices. I would just go to one that has a good low price and make sure their installers have a few years of experience. That way you get good service and a good installation! Most shops have temporary plastic too that they will put on free of charge.
Good luck!

FWIW, one week is awfully quick. I know you have a hole that's bugging you, but what if her next payday is 2 weeks away? What if a legitimate emergency cropped up (her kid got sick, etc) and she had to use the money for something *important*. Give her a chance, maybe get her to put it in writing? If you're gonna fix it anyway, maybe you should go ahead and then keep after her for a "reimbursement". Make a payment plan, etc? It seems like one week is a bit fast to be considering SCC...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">