• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case Dismissed W/O Prejudice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubbles3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Here is my problem...I had been attempting to collect money from my ex that he owed me for a shared credit card for over a year. I sent him a final letter in Feb stating that it was my final attempt before taking legal action. In Feb I filed a small claim against him for the debt. At this time he still lived in the state of WA. When I got the paperwork from the court with the trial date and a copy of the claim, I sent him a copy to the last known address that I had. This past Tuesday I went to court and faced the judge. To no surprise the defendant did not show up. The judge showed me a statement that he faxed in the morning of the court date saying that he no longer lived in WA. Because of this and the fact that I the return of service that I had was not signed directly by him the judge dismissed my case w/o prejudice. She informed me that because he lived out of state I could not collect small claims on him. Basically he ran away from this debt, how is it fair to me that he doesn't have to pay towards it? I have read that because he lives out of state I have to file a small claim against him in the state where he lives. So this means that I have to travel to his state and pay for the whole thing when he is the one that owes me money....Does anyone have any insight on this? What do I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">