• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case for misrepresentation of training course?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jw2k_fr

Brooklyn, NY

My wife recently signed up for an eco-design course run in manhattan. I went along with her to an orientation meeting where the principal outlined the course and what she would get out of it. The course was specifically outlined as being one third 'psychology of space', one third 'feng shui' and one third 'green design'.

Whilst discussing the course content, my wife raised her concern that the course seemed to contain a majority of feng shui and that she did not want to be studying something that was principally feng shui. The principal replied in a fairly offhand manner and stated that there was the opportunity to tailor the course to individual needs.

Having now attended three out of eight weekends for this course, it has now become apparent that the vast majority of the course is indeed feng shui and my wife feels cheated - the course she is presented with does not match up with what was outlined to us during her orientation.

We have exhanged several emails with the principal to attempt to obtain a refund for the remaining weekends on this basis and have outlined our concerns. He has replied with assurances that maybe we can't see how everything fits together or that the full nature of these studies will become evident as they apply these studies to the design projects. Other claims that, for example, there would be mentors for each student have turned out to be untrue. Also all the homework from the course has been entirely focused on feng shui. The principal is refusing any form of refund, quoting this paragraph from the contract signed before classes began:

Section 8: "Tuition agreement for the Training is for the entire year. If a student withdraws from the program for any reason, he/she agrees to be responsible for fulfilling the remaining payments as contracted. This agreement is maintained without exception. except in case of a medical emergency which would prohibit attendance at work and other activities for the rest of the year."

We would very much appreciate any advice concerning how likely we are to be able to build a successful case for a partial or entire refund of the cost of the course to take to a small claims court either here in Brooklyn (where we live), or in NYC where the training takes place.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers

James

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">