• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cat killed by neighbors dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdearduff

California. So today I found my cat being attacked by a dog in my garage. Turns out after a trip to the vet my cat is now dead. The dog broke her back. What kind of recourse do I have in this kind of situation? Animal control came out and gave me a case number and wrote the owner of the dog a citation, but what else can be done? Can I do anything other than recover the vet bills?

TigerD

California. So today I found my cat being attacked by a dog in my garage. Turns out after a trip to the vet my cat is now dead. The dog broke her back. What kind of recourse do I have in this kind of situation? Animal control came out and gave me a case number and wrote the owner of the dog a citation, but what else can be done? Can I do anything other than recover the vet bills?
Next time your find your neighbor's wild, vicious animal in your garage threatening or attacking a family member -- shoot it. ---- sorry California. Politely ask it leave -- if you can do it without hurting the dog's feelings.

DC

Proserpina

I'm not even convinced you'll get vet bills. The problem with small claims is not getting the judgment itself, but rather trying to collect the judgment.

I'm sorry you lost your kitty. And there's nothing stopping you from trying to recover your vet bills, but small claims generally will not deal with pain and suffering claims or penalizing the dog owner.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Short answer: No. Animals are considered property. :cool:

Last edited:

LdiJ

Short answer: No. Animals are considered property. :cool:
The fact that they are considered to be property doesn't mean that someone cannot sue for damages...in fact its just the opposite. You can sue someone who is responsible for the damage or destruction of your property. The owner of the dog is responsible because the dog was loose and able to enter someone else's garage. Both the vet bills and the value of the cat are damages.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is a shame that people seem to think they can let their cats wander. The only positive is that the cat was wandering on her property.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is a shame that people seem to think they can let their cats wander. The only positive is that the cat was wandering on her property.
To be fair, the cat was wandering in a structure on her property. I really don't think it's fair to characterize this as an instance of the animal roaming freely.

On the other hand, I will state that I doubt that the location of the cat was anything other than timing. I'm sure this cat was allowed to wander freely at other times.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To be fair, the cat was wandering in a structure on her property. I really don't think it's fair to characterize this as an instance of the animal roaming freely.

On the other hand, I will state that I doubt that the location of the cat was anything other than timing. I'm sure this cat was allowed to wander freely at other times.
I did state that it was on her property. But apparently the garage was open as the dog got in. Unless the dog has the ability to open doors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Massachusetts allows for reasonable veterinary costs. Maybe the courts in California will too.

I would agree with Pro that there probably won't be any vet bills. The cat died due to the injuries sustained (including a broken back.) I doubt that the vet will send a bill for looking at a dead/almost dead cat.

LdiJ

I would agree with Pro that there probably won't be any vet bills. The cat died due to the injuries sustained (including a broken back.) I doubt that the vet will send a bill for looking at a dead/almost dead cat.
30 years ago there NEVER would have been a vet bill for looking at a dead/dying animal. These days I can guarantee that there WILL be vet bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">