• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cat Ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sr66

I live in Pennsylvania.

My friend had a cat that she took care of since he was a kitten. She had him for four years. Last February, she was forced out of her living situation and she was unable to take her cat to her new residence. Her neighbor and a room mate told her that they would take care of the cat until she found a place of her own or a new family for him. A few months ago, the neighbor stated that she could not take care of the cat anymore, so the old roommate was given the cat to care for full time.

My friend found a family who wants to adopt him full time. When my friend went to take the cat, the owner of the house (who was not the owner until recently) told her that she could not take the cat. The new owner said that she had left the cat there too long and so can no longer have it.

My friend has papers stating that this Cat is hers. What are her chances of winning the cat back if she takes this to court?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Pennsylvania.

My friend had a cat that she took care of since he was a kitten. She had him for four years. Last February, she was forced out of her living situation and she was unable to take her cat to her new residence. Her neighbor and a room mate told her that they would take care of the cat until she found a place of her own or a new family for him. A few months ago, the neighbor stated that she could not take care of the cat anymore, so the old roommate was given the cat to care for full time.

My friend found a family who wants to adopt him full time. When my friend went to take the cat, the owner of the house (who was not the owner until recently) told her that she could not take the cat. The new owner said that she had left the cat there too long and so can no longer have it.

My friend has papers stating that this Cat is hers. What are her chances of winning the cat back if she takes this to court?
If the friend who has been taking care of the cat wants to keep the cat why does YOUR friend want to remove the cat from the person who has been providing care for the cat to put it with strangers? Either way, YOUR friend doesn't seem to want the animal anymore.

sr66

That wasnt the question I was asking. Whether my friend is able to care for the cat or not, she is heartbroken about the fact that she is unable to keep him and cries every night. Please dont criticize a situation when you dont know everything. I gave the facts needed (no more or less) in order find out a law, a set law, not someones opinion of the situation. Does anyone know the LAW regarding a situation like this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That wasnt the question I was asking. Whether my friend is able to care for the cat or not, she is heartbroken about the fact that she is unable to keep him and cries every night. Please dont criticize a situation when you dont know everything. I gave the facts needed (no more or less) in order find out a law, a set law, not someones opinion of the situation. Does anyone know the LAW regarding a situation like this?
I do know the law. And quite frankly the question I ASKED would be asked in court. If she is too fragile to explain that answer, she has NO CHANCE of getting the cat back. But go pay an attorney to get another answer -- if an attorney would even talk to you -- since a) this is not your business; b) you are a legal stranger to this situation; c) you are posting nothing but gossip on this site as you are in not in the position to answer the questions that matter.

ETA: Other relevant questions:
1) How much financial support has your friend given to the caretakers of the cat in the last 11 months?
2) How often has your broken hearted friend been with the cat?
3) How much food has she bought?
4) How many vet visits has she attended, set up, paid for?

Last edited:

sr66

Seriously, I have no idea what your problem is. This site is for people to get legal advice, not be bashed for seeking it. if my friend asked me to find out information she does not have access to internet, but business is this of yours? It was simple question - what are her chances in court. And your answer is that she must have not wanted the cat anyway? What the hell kind of legal advice is that? And I did go ask a lawyer, and he did talk to me, and he knew what the hell he was talking about, unlike you.

sr66

And I can see why this site is free, it has people like you addressing peoples questions. who the hell would pay for that?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in Pennsylvania.

Sounds like the cat HAS a 'full time' home (uh, okay). Why traumatize Kitty again? :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Seriously, I have no idea what your problem is. This site is for people to get legal advice, not be bashed for seeking it. if my friend asked me to find out information she does not have access to internet, but business is this of yours? It was simple question - what are her chances in court. And your answer is that she must have not wanted the cat anyway? What the hell kind of legal advice is that? And I did go ask a lawyer, and he did talk to me, and he knew what the hell he was talking about, unlike you.
Seriously, you were answered. If she wants the cat back she needs to be able to provide answers to the questions I posed. But since she can't, she is not going to win at all.
I see what your problem is: Ignorance and an inability to comprehend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">