• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CD Cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CollierD

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Arkansas

Hi, my name is Dustin Collier. I recently got an oil change at a local Precision Tune AutoCare. During the course of the oil change, I had 2 CD cases stolen out of my vehicle by one of the employees. The total merchandise that was stolen values around 700 dollars (including the cost of the cases themselves). I checked the lobby and there are no signs posted disclaiming the store from liability for lost or stolen property. The manager has been unsuccessful in obtaining my property, but did help me fill out a police report. My question is this: If I call the owner of the store, is he liable for my stolen property and, as such, should he compensate me for my losses? Obviously, I do not have receipts for all the cd's I've purchased over the years, but I was wondering if maybe even the threat of litigation would be worth a shot. If so, I could easily take a camera to the store to prove that the store has not disclaimed themselves from liability.

Thanks,
Dusty

BL

Would you leave a $5,000.00 engagement ring in the car not locked up and out of site when you got an oil change ?

What's the diff with 700 in CDs ?

You also have a obligation to secure your belongings .

IMO , there was a Police Report Taken . The owner is not responsible and unless there is some evidence that appears and points to your CDs , it should be a Lesson learned .

It's not like a club where they charge a Fee to store your coat .

CollierD

Thanks

Thank you so much for the helpful advice. For the record, I have locked up my cd's every time since I was 15 until the day of this incident. I have been going to the same oil change center for years and trusted them enough to let it slip my mind. Regardless of any of that, trying to say that my cd's getting stolen is the result of my irresponsible inaction is ridiculous. That is like telling a rape victim she shouldn't have been walking down the alley. On the contrary, we should be able to live in civilized society without the threat of rape or personal property theft. The fact that this idealistic world does not exist does not make it the fault of the victims that certain individuals choose to break the law. Also, I did not pay them to store my cd's, but I did pay them and give them full access to my vehicle in exchange for services rendered under the obvious pretense that my property would be handled with the care and respect that every person's property deserves. Furthermore, if you are going to quote a proverb, make it one that relates at least a little to the topic. Believe it or not, I did not post on here to get someone's personal opinion on whether leaving my cd's in the car was a good idea. Rather, I was curious if the store is liable for my losses (as they would be had their employee wrecked my vehicle instead of stolen from it). Let me offer up a thought experiment to further prove my point. Suppose, rather than my cd's, the employee decided to steal my seats. That's right, the actual seats out of the interior. Would it then be my fault for not securing my seats? Where do you draw the line on the fault of the victim? See where you're flawed reasoning leads you on that one.

BL

Furthermore, if you are going to quote a proverb, make it one that relates at least a little to the topic.
Well I did have a better one about stupid people , but cleaned it up .

What is it that irritates you about this one ? The fact that either way the person does not understand ?

BTW , well it IS against the Law to commit theft , and as you pointed out not all persons are Law abiding , then you have some responsibility yourself to use care .

Example: You are driving your vehicle down the road . You are counting on the other drivers to obey the rules and laws of the road . You go the speed limit of 30 MPH , some driver pulls off a side road with out stopping .

Are you going to hit that Car anyways ? If you did , do you can claim you were not at fault ?

Now tell me ,why is what I stated RIDICULOUS ?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">