• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foley802

New Jersey
I took a plan with a cell phone company, and let a close friend of mine use a line on it. I did not give this person authorized user on the account. Without my knowledge he obtained my personal information and changed account information which resulted in an outstanding bill of over 400 dollars. What steps if any can I take to have this money returned to me by this individual?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New Jersey
I took a plan with a cell phone company, and let a close friend of mine use a line on it. I did not give this person authorized user on the account. Without my knowledge he obtained my personal information and changed account information which resulted in an outstanding bill of over 400 dollars. What steps if any can I take to have this money returned to me by this individual?
1: Ask for it.

It that doesn't work then...
2: Send a demand letter.

If that doesn't work then...
3: Sue in small claims court.

Andy0192

Just to be clear, the "close friend" is the person who defrauded you. The cell phone company isn't the one you need to demand money from.

sandyclaus

Oh... and immediately deactivate the extra line until the person pays what they owe. And notify the cell provider to place a password or other restriction on the account so that only YOU will be the one to make any future changes to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">