• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone Company charging a cancellation fee with no contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tscoff

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I had a cell phone with AT&T Wireless. I kept the cell phone for roughly 4 or 5 months and in that time I paid them in full for my service. I never signed a contract with them and I never agreed verbally to a contract with them. When I called them to cancel my cell phone they informed me that by using the service I had agreed to a 12 month contract with a $175.00 cancellation fee. I told them that I had never agreed to such a thing and that they had never informed me of those terms.

They are turning me over to a collection agency for the cancellation fee which I never agreed to. I want to file a claim against them in small claims court for the amount of the cancellation fee, any interest which they're claiming I owe, and a clean credit report from them to the credit agencies. Do I have a leg to stand on? Remember, I paid them in full for the service which I used. I'm objecting to their claim that I owe them a cancellation fee when I never signed or agreed to a contract with a set time period. I was under the impression that I had signed up for a month to month contract which I could cancel at any time.

JETX

tscoff said:
I want to file a claim against them in small claims court for the amount of the cancellation fee, any interest which they're claiming I owe, and a clean credit report from them to the credit agencies. Do I have a leg to stand on?
No. At this point, until you pay them, you haven't been damaged.

I'm objecting to their claim that I owe them a cancellation fee when I never signed or agreed to a contract with a set time period. I was under the impression that I had signed up for a month to month contract which I could cancel at any time.
What did they say when you asked them to provide a copy of your agreement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">